We've made some changes to our website. You may find some areas still in development. Read more about this work.

Bin collections

Collecting rubbish and recycling bins from your house is the responsibility of your district or borough council.

You can find details of bin collection days and report missed bin collections on the website of the council covering the area where you live:

If you are unsure of what you can put in your recycling bins you can find out in our guide to kerbside recycling [PDF].

District and borough councils may also offer separate collection of glass bottles and jars from your home and some may provide chargeable bulky waste collections. They are also responsible for the smaller recycling banks for items such as clothes, books, cardboard and paper, cans and bottles.

What happens to your recyclables

In Nottinghamshire, all of the kerbside recyclables collected by the seven district councils (paper, card, cans and plastic bottles) are sorted at the Mansfield Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), which is operated by Veolia Environmental Services as part of the Nottinghamshire Waste PFI Contract.

Veolia Nottinghamshire has provided the following statement regarding their outlets for the sorted materials: 

"Veolia fully support the UK recycling market and continue to be major suppliers to UK reprocessors. However, at this time, the UK market does not have enough capacity to handle all of the recyclable material being produced and the export market is therefore of critical importance to the UK recycling industry.

Typically, cans and plastics from the Mansfield MRF are reprocessed in the UK, although paper is often exported. There is recognition that these materials are traded on a global market and Veolia is well placed to manage this process within the legal framework, be it trading in the UK or abroad".

Share this page?

Contact the Council

Find and talk with us online or contact us directly by online form, email, telephone, post or in person at one of our offices.

Facebook.com/Nottinghamshire Twitter.com/NottsCC Use our online form Visit us in person Call us on 0300 500 80 80 More ways to contact the Council