[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Disabled parking (Blue Badges)

The Blue Badge Scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems.

Who is eligible for a Blue Badge?   

Blue Badges are for people who cannot walk or who have very considerable difficulty in walking including:

  • People on certain benefits or who are registered blind are automatically eligible for a badge
  • Other disabled people may be eligible for a badge but it may depend on the outcome of a mobility test.
  • Children under three may be eligible depending on certain conditions
  • Organisations caring for disabled people meeting the eligibility criteria may be able to get a badge, but this is entirely at our discretion.

For more details about eligibility see our Blue Badge factsheet [PDF].

How do I apply for a Blue Badge?  

When you complete the form on the GOV.UK website they will send the details to us so we can make a decision about your application. 

 All completed application forms must be sent to:

  • The Blue Badge Team, 
    Nottinghamshire County Council, 
    Customer Service Centre, 
    PO Box 9320, 
    NG15 5BL

If you need help to complete the form, either call into one of our Customer Service Points or ring the Customer Service Centre on 0300 500 80 80.

How do I renew a Blue Badge?

A letter reminding you to renew your Blue Badge will be sent to you about eight weeks before your badge expires. Please let us know if you move house, so that the letter goes to the right address. 

We will not automatically send you a new badge when your current one expires. It is your responsibility to re-apply for a new Blue Badge.

You must complete another application form to renew your badge and provide all the information requested. This is because:

  • your situation (and what you are eligible for) might have changed
  • the criteria for getting a Blue Badge might have changed. We need to assess your situation against the latest criteria so you need to fill out a new application and provide all of the evidence requested.

If you automatically qualify for a blue badge [PDF] you can use this form to renew it:

Blue Badge application form without further assessment [WORD]

All other renewal applicants can apply online or print one of the application forms listed above

I have changed my address. Do I need to tell you?

If you are staying within Nottinghamshire, you should contact our Customer Service Centre to give them your new address. This will ensure that the reminder letter about your badge expiring goes to the right address. 

If you are moving to another council area you can carry on using your badge until it is due to expire. Six weeks before the expiry date you need to apply for your badge again via your new council area, using your new address.

For more advice ring the Initial Enquiry Support Service for what you need to do.

I have changed my vehicle. Do I need to tell you?

No, you do not need to inform us. As the Blue Badge can be used in any vehicle, we don't need to have a record of your new registration number.

What happens when I apply?   

Whether you apply online through GOV.UK or complete your application in one of the other ways, your details come to us. We will then consider your application and make a decision.

We aim to deal with your application as quickly as possible but please allow up to eight weeks for your application to be processed, this includes renewal applications. 

If we ask for a mobility assessment we will make an appointment with you to see an occupational therapist who will do the assessment. 

If you are eligible:

The badge will be sent to you by second class post within 10 working days of us receiving all the correct documents, photographs and payment of £10. 

Telephone 0300 500 80 80 if your badge does not arrive within this time. 

If you are not eligible:

We will write to you giving the reason. If you think the decision is wrong we will review it if you write to the Customer Service Centre explaining why it is wrong. 

You may be asked to have a face to face mobility assessment with an occupational therapist. If you have already had a mobility assessment, you will have to provide new evidence about your difficulty in walking when you ask for the review. 

Getting more information about the scheme   

See the common questions page for more information about use of the badge.

The Blue Badge Initial Enquiry Support Service can answer general queries. For example:

  • The use of the badge when travelling abroad
  • What the toll concessions are for badge holders
  • Details of how to use the badge and where to report misuse.

Tel: 0844 4630213 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. Answerphone out of these hours)

Email: bluebadge@northgate-is.com

Post: Blue Badge Unit, Northgate Information Solutions, Wellington House, Wynyard Park, Billington TS22 5TB.

The service does not deal with applications or appeals.

The GOV.UK website has more information about Blue Badges and how they can be used: https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge.

Special Access Schemes


Special Access Schemes are for people who have particular mobility difficulties. If you have a Special Access Permit, it allows you to drive and park your vehicle in certain pedestrianised areas.

Find out about eligibility for Special Access Permits and how to apply.

Rough Guide to Accessible Britain

The Rough Guide to Accessible Britain is free to all Blue Badge holders.

The guide contains information about days out across the UK, reviews by disabled visitors and details of accessibility.

To get a copy of the guide visit the Motability website: www.accessibleguide.co.uk

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close