The Blue Badge Scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems.
Who is eligible for a Blue Badge?
- People on certain benefits or who are registered blind are automatically eligible for a badge
- Other disabled people may be eligible for a badge but it will depend on the results of a mobility assessment
- Children under 3 may be eligible depending on certain conditions
- Organisations caring for disabled people meeting the eligibility criteria may be able to get a badge, but this is entirely at our discretion.
For more details about eligibility see our Blue Badge factsheet [PDF].
Blue Badges are issued to individual people not vehicles. This means you can use a Blue Badge both as a driver and a passenger. You can also transfer your Blue Badge to whichever vehicle you are using for a particular journey.
How do I apply for a badge?
What happens when I apply?
Your application will be considered by the local Blue Badge Team.
If you are eligible:
- you will have to pay a £2 fee before the badge can be issued
- the badge will be sent to you by second class post within seven working days of us receiving all the required documents, photographs and payment from you.
If we ask for a mobility assessment we will make an appointment with you to see an independent health professional who will do the assessment.
If you are not eligible for a badge, we will write to you giving the reason.
Getting more information about the scheme
See the common questions page for more information about use of the badge.
The Blue Badge Initial Enquiry Support Service (IESS) can answer general queries. For example:
- The use of the badge when travelling abroad
- What the toll concessions are for badge holders
- Details of how to use the badge and where to report misuse.
Tel: 0844 4630213 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. Answerphone out of these hours)
Post: Blue Badge Unit, Northgate Information Solutions, Wellington House, Wynyard Park, Billington TS22 5TB.
The service does not deal with applications or appeals.
The GOV.UK website has more information about Blue Badges and how they can be used: www.gov.uk.
Where do I send my completed application form?
All completed application forms must be sent to:
- The Blue Badge Team,
Nottinghamshire County Council,
Customer Service Centre,
PO Box 9320,