Equality Impact Assessments (EqIAs)
The Public Sector Equality Duty, set out in the Equality Act 2010, requires public authorities to:
- eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
Protected characteristics are:
- gender reassignment
- pregnancy and maternity
- race (includes ethnic or national origins, colour or nationality)
- religion or belief (this includes lack of belief)
- sexual orientation.
Purpose of assessment
The purpose of carrying out an Equality Impact Assessment is to assess the impact of a change to services or policy on people with protected characteristics and to demonstrate that the Council has considered the aims of the Equality Duty.