1. This privacy statement tells you what to expect when Nottinghamshire County Council collects personal information. It applies to information we collect about:
- visitors to our website
- people who register for an on-line account
- people who use our website to register for and use our services
- people who contact us with an enquiry or complaint
- job applicants and our current and former employees.
2. We regard your privacy as important and recognise the importance of complying with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- we will only use any personal information you provide to us for the purposes for which you provide it. We will ask for your consent to use it for another purpose unless it is anonymised first or there is a pressing need to use it for another purpose; see ‘Disclosure of information’ below.
- we will only hold your information for as long as necessary for these purposes.
- all employees who have access to your personal data or are associated with the handling of that data are obliged to respect the confidentiality of your personal data.
- we will have put in place procedures and technologies to maintain the security of all personal data from the point of collection to the point of destruction.
3. Upon request we will inform you whether personal information is stored by us.
You may write to:
Complaints and Information Team
Nottinghamshire County Council
Or email: email@example.com
- more information about requesting personal information
4. If you have concerns about the processing of your personal data by Nottinghamshire County Council you may contact us at the address above, or write to:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visitors to our website
5. The computers which host our website maintain site logs which include the IP details of all machines accessing our pages. We only use such logs to determine website usage and not as a means of identifying or obtaining information about specific users. Any IP information is treated as strictly confidential and is not published or divulged to any third party.
Registering for online services
6. We collect personal information that you provide to us when you register for an online account.
7. We collect personal information when you apply to access some of our services online.
8. By registering with us online (either in relation to your account or a specific service) you consent that Nottinghamshire County Council may process the personal information that we collect from you in accordance with this privacy notice.
9. In general we will hold your personal information for the purposes of maintaining and operating your account or registration and will use your personal information:
- for the purpose you provided the information for
- to verify your entitlement to access the services you have requested, e.g. verification of your residence in the county. (We may do this by checking with a third party)
- where you give specific consent to allow us to be able to communicate and provide information about services appropriate to your needs.
We will retain your information for the period necessary to fulfill the relevant purpose for which it is held and we will also retain any external verification so long as it remains accurate based on the information you provide to us. This will allow us to reuse that information when you register for additional services.
Disclosure of information
10. In many circumstances we will not disclose personal information without consent. However in some circumstances we will need to share personal information, either with different departments within Nottinghamshire County Council, or with other organisations. For example, we may need to share information without consent in order to prevent or detect crime, or for adult’s or children’s safeguarding or where we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation.
11. In order to deliver a service to you, we may share your personal information with external organisations who provide services in conjunction with, or on behalf of, Nottinghamshire County Council. This may in some circumstances mean that we share your personal information (including sensitive personal data) with other organisations who are based overseas, including countries which are outside the European Economic Area. When doing so, we will ensure that procedures and technologies are put in place to maintain the security of all personal data which is processed overseas.
12. We have entered into agreements with other organisations for sharing information. If you need any further information about this you can contact the Complaints and Information Team at the addresses above.
Other use of information
13. We may use information you send us for data analysis, research, statistical and survey purposes. This is to help us improve the services we provide. Where we use information for this purpose it is only reported in a way which does not identify anyone; the published information is anonymised.
14. Images of individuals are treated as personal data. Images of crowds in a public area are not. When taking photographs intended for publication on our website or elsewhere, it is our policy to seek the written permission of any individuals who are photographed.
15. We will respond promptly to any request to remove photographic images and/or personal data from the website where the person making such a request has a right to do so under the Data Protection Act.
Links to other websites
16. This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on other websites you visit.
Changes to this privacy notice
17. We keep our privacy notice under regular review. This privacy notice was last updated in February 2017.
18. Any changes we may make to our privacy notice in the future will be posted on this page. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our privacy notice.
19. This privacy notice was drafted with brevity and clarity in mind. It does not provide exhaustive detail of all aspects of Nottinghamshire County Council’s collection and use of personal information. However, we are happy to provide any additional information or explanation needed. Any request for this should be sent to the Complaints and Information Team at the addresses above.
20. If you have any enquires about this privacy notice or the sharing of personal information by the County Council, please contact:
The Information Manager
Complaints and Information Team
Nottinghamshire County Council
Privacy Notices in relation to specific activities
21. Nottinghamshire County Council may use your personal information for the purposes of providing you with specific services. Some of these services have their own privacy notices which provide you with more detailed information relating to how we use your information. Please click on the links below to access these privacy notices:
Adult social services
- Kings Mill Hospital patient information sharing
- Vulnerable Person Panels and Crime and Disorder Panels
Central processing Unit
Children and Young People’s Services
Public Health Services
Please note that this list is not exhaustive and will be updated from time to time. You should contact the County Council to check for privacy notices that are relevant to the area you are interested in.