Trading Standards business advice
Trading Standards looks to protect consumers and promote a modern, vibrant economy by supporting well-meaning enterprises of all sizes. We are committed to providing a range of information, advice and services to help support responsible businesses to improve their performance while complying with Trading Standards and consumer legislation.
It can be daunting running a business, whether it is a new start-up company or an existing business, trying to keep up to date with legislation.
Business Companion is a government-backed website that contains free impartial information for businesses and individuals that need to know about Trading Standards and consumer protection legislation. While not a replacement for professional advice, it provides the basics for new starters, quick guides for answers on core questions to key topics and in-depth guides.
Business areas covered include:
- consumer rights
- product safety
- distance selling
- food and drink
- animal health and welfare.
To support the Business Companion we have also produced some information and advice sheets for businesses based on local need, around subject areas including:
- product safety
- weights and measures
- age-restricted products.
Our Trading Standards service has created a stand-alone team dedicated to supporting businesses improve their performance, profits and compliance. With extensive experience of supporting some of the region’s multi-nationals as well as a wide range of large and small companies, officers can provide excellent practical business and technical advice. We can offer advice to not only Nottinghamshire businesses but those across the country.
Operating on a not-for-profit basis, we provide a range of commercial services that include:
- one-off business advice: responding to a particular issue
- business advice: supporting on an on-going basis
- assured advice: offering a business the opportunity to obtain legally-recognised advice that must be followed by other councils when carrying out inspections or dealing with non-compliance
- business services: such as nutritional labelling, protected food names certification
- third-party auditing: supply chain independent audits
- training: on-site, group and by e-learning
- weights and measures
If you require more comprehensive advice than that provided on the Business Companion website, a business manager can be contacted to discuss your business needs:
- telephone: 0115 804 1147
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer several options for chargeable services and advice:
- pay as you go: you can ask for a quote each time and pay as and when you need the advice.
- annual contract
- business partnership: a range of options depending on the size of your business and how much support you need over a year, no long term commitment and reviewed annually.
- Primary Authority Partnership: designed by the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy to provide tailored advice and support for businesses that operate in more than one local authority area. When you form a partnership with us we provide designated officers to ensure your business has the best advice and support in dealing with regulators from other authorities.
- services such as nutritional labelling and marketing claims advice are based on a per item charge.
We can provide support and advice on product recalls and to assist manufacturers and retailers experiencing issues which could affect the safety of consumers we also provide a link to the – Chartered Trading Standards Institute for national product recalls.
- product recall notices on Trading Standards Institute website
- food alerts on Food Standards Agency website
- product recalls on Eectrical safety first website
To help tackle business crime, Nottinghamshire Police, working in partnership with other agencies including Trading Standards, has launched an initiative aimed at reducing business crime and the fear of crime. The aim is to make Nottinghamshire one of the most prosperous, crime-free counties in the country.
Visit the Business Watch website.