Becoming a British Citizen
Apply for British citizenship
Before applying, please visit the Home Office website.
You must make sure you meet all the criteria to become a British citizen. This includes proving:
Please download your application form from the Home Office website. The latest version of the form must be used as old versions will not be accepted. It is important to check all pages of the application form are clearly numbered.
The onus is on you as the applicant to satisfy yourself that you meet the requirements. The County Council cannot give nationality advice. You can contact us for more information about the service and the booking process, however we can't give information about eligibility. Visit GOV.UK for more information about becoming a British citizen.
Citizenship application form checking - for paper forms only
Please note this service is available for people who want a Nationality Checking Service (NCS) appointment when using paper based, hand completed application form and it does not include passport checking.
Please do not book an NCS appointment with Nottinghamshire County Council if you have or you intend to apply online for your citizenship and passport. Electronic applications can only be checked by registrars who offer a Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) see the UKVI website for more information.
Although this isn't automatically a faster application process, paper based NCS applications that are submitted to the Home Office correctly are usually processed faster. Our Citizenship Nationality Checking Service can be extremely beneficial, although it is not a mandatory step in becoming a British citizen.
At the appointment:
- our trained staff will check your paper application form is fully completed. Please note this service is not available for people who have applied online.
- all supporting documentation required for the application will be copied and certified, meaning you don't need to send original documents such as your passport to the Home Office
- your application and the appropriate application fee will be sent on to the Home Office by secure registered post.
What our citizenship customers say
"I received excellent nationality checking service… really appreciate the flexibility and convenience of such service provided by the council." Satisfied customer, Newark.
"The service provided and the overall experience have been absolutely outstanding." Satisfied customer, Kirkby in Ashfield.
The fee for citizenship application form checking appointments is payable at the time of booking (this is in addition to the Home Office and passport application fee).
Citizen application checking fees
- adult - £85 per applicant
- child - £65 per applicant.
Book your citizenship application checking appointment
The service is available by appointment Monday – Friday at a variety of offices around the county of Nottinghamshire.
Before you book an appointment you must have:
- printed the most up to date application form from the internet, completed the application form on paper and read all of the guidance.
To book an appointment, email email@example.com and include the following details:
- name of applicants
- contact telephone number
- preferred date, time and location of appointment.
Alternatively, call 0115 9772812 to arrange. Office hours are:
- Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 4.45pm
- Friday: 8.30am to 4.15pm.
An answer machine is available, please do leave a message with your contact details on.
When you book an appointment we will give you more information on what you must bring with you.
Cancellation/rescheduling of appointments
The application fee is per applicant. You pay this when you make your appointment. It is in addition to the fee charged by the UK Visa and Immigration Service.
The fee will not be refunded if:
- you fail to attend the appointment
- you amend the appointment with less than seven days' notice (you will need to pay the fee again for a new appointment)
- the application doesn't meet requirements.
If you cancel the appointment with more than seven days' notice, the fee will be refunded. There is no charge to amend the appointment if you give more than seven days' notice.
Completing your citizenship
Anyone aged 18 years or over who successfully applies for naturalisation or registration as a British citizen must take an oath and pledge at a citizenship ceremony.
The Home Office will write to you with instructions of how to book your attendance at a ceremony once your application has been approved. The ceremony is intended to celebrate the significance of becoming a British citizen and welcome you into the community.
There are two types of ceremony which you can choose from:
- Group Citizenship Ceremony (fee included in the cost of your application to the Home Office) - this ceremony lasts between 45 to 60 minutes. The ceremony is conducted by a Deputy Registrar and Civic dignitaries give speeches of welcome on behalf of the Queen and the local communities. The ceremonies are held regularly in West Bridgford, Newark, Mansfield and Worksop. Groups range in size from 15 to 30 people
- Individual Citizenship Ceremony (additional charges will apply). These can be arranged at Registration Offices, please ask the Registration Team for details. These ceremonies usually last 15 minutes.
Contact us on 0115 9772812 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.
View the guide to your citizenship ceremony [PDF].
Authorised by the OISC ref no F201300774.