Legal marriage formalities

Having made the decision of setting the date and venue for your ceremony, you will both need to carry out legal preliminaries called “giving notice” of your intention to marry/form a civil partnership. This will involve each of you attending the registration office which governs the area in which you live, by appointment, to provide basic personal details about yourselves (see below).

Please note: giving notice is a legal requirement which carries a 
statutory fee. This is not a deposit for your ceremony.

What you need to do

Before either of you can give notice, you must both have lived at your address for a minimum of seven complete days before the date that either notice is given.

If you live in two different registration districts, you must each give notice to your own local register office. Since Nottinghamshire (excluding Nottingham City) is classed as one registration district it means Nottinghamshire residents can give notice at any county office.  Nottingham City is a separate local authority and registration district for City residents.

If your chosen ceremony venue is outside your district(s) of residence, you should first contact the register office for that venue to check the availability of dates.

Once you have both given notice there is a minimum waiting period of 28 consecutive days before the ceremony can take place. However, this waiting period could be considerably longer if either of you is subject to immigration control. Your ceremony must take place within 12 months from the date you give notice, at the venue you have specified in your notice.

There is a statutory fee to give notice. This is not a deposit towards your ceremony.

Documents you will need to produce

Evidence of your name, age, nationality

Current passport or full birth certificate.

For the purposes of nationality, if you are producing a birth certificate (it must be a full version showing your parents) instead of a current passport and you were born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983, we will also need to see your mother's birth certificate.

Evidence of your current address

In order of preference, we will need to see a recent utility bill (no more than 3 months old), bank statement (no more than 1 month old), telephone bill (3 months), current year Council Tax notice, driving licence or medical card.

If you have been married or formed a civil partnership before

If you have been married or registered a civil partnership previously, in any country, you will be required to show evidence of your divorce/dissolution or death of your late spouse/civil partner. If the divorce/dissolution took place in England or Wales, you will need to produce a Decree Absolute bearing the official stamp of the court. If that divorce/dissolution was granted abroad, we will need to see the original documents issued and a fee will be payable in this case. If these documents are written in a foreign language, an English translation may be required.

Documents may include: Decree Absolute, Dissolution of Civil Partnership, Decree of Nullity, Death certificate of former partner and (depending on your circumstances) previous marriage certificate.

If you are under the age of 18

If either of you is under 18 years of age, you will be required to show proof that your parents or guardians have consented to your marriage. If your parents are now divorced we will need to see the Decree Absolute and the court order determining legal custody of you.

All documents must be originals.

For further advice or to make an appointment to give notice of marriage please ring 0300 500 80 80

Conversion of civil partnership to marriage

You can now convert your civil partnership into a marriage. Read more information on the website.

  • Providing civil ceremonies in beautiful locations around Nottinghamshire

  • Providing civil ceremonies in beautiful locations around Nottinghamshire