Rufford Abbey Country Park
Set in the heart of Robin Hood Country, this country park offers native woodland, lake and gardens, that change with the seasons.
- free admission to the abbey, park and gardens
- car parks open 10am – 5.30pm, charges apply [PDF]
- a relaxing and inexpensive day out
- dogs welcome on a lead
- open every day, except Christmas day
- explore the haunted remains of a medieval monastery
- unwind with a woodland walk or spot the waterbirds on a stroll around the lake
- stroll around the sculpture gardens and discover the maze and Play Village
- take a family trail of unusual birds and animals with Crafty Critters [PDF]
- hold your wedding ceremony and reception in the breathtaking grounds [PDF]
- have a falconry experience with Hawks of Steele.
Bus: services 33 (Nottingham – Worksop) and the Sherwood Arrow (Nottingham – New Ollerton) stop near the end of the main drive. Plan a journey.
Car: two miles south of Ollerton and 17 miles north of Nottingham on the A614 Nottingham – Doncaster road. View car parking information.
Train: the nearest stations are Mansfield (11 miles), Newark (16 miles) and Nottingham (17 miles).
Starting in the remains of the medieval abbey, have a look around the grounds:
Skip to see information about:
The Savile Restaurant – named after Lord Savile and set in the original kitchen of the old country house, serving cooked lunches, salads and afternoon teas.
- open 11am to 3pm, Monday to Saturday, and 11am to 4pm on Sunday
- hot meals are served 12 noon to 2pm
- booking is recommended, contact: 01623 821310
- available for private functions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org | 01623 821310
- View our menus: winter 2015 menu [PDF] | Christmas 2015 menu [PDF]
Coach House Café – serving drinks, lights snacks and ice creams in the courtyard
- open 10am to 5pm
Mill Teashop – serving drinks and light snacks at the north end of the park near the Mill
- open 10am to 5pm
- open 10.30am to 5pm
- gift shop and craft shop in the Courtyard near the Abbey, contact: 01623 821346
- Outdoor Living Shop at Rufford Mill, contact: 01623 827311
Visitor toilets (accessible) are available at both ends of the park.
Cycling is not allowed in the park, but we provide bike racks so you can park up and enjoy the paths and woodland walks on foot.
Dogs are welcome but must be kept on a lead. Any owner letting their dog off the lead or allowing their dogs to foul the park risks an £80 fine. Find out more about Dog Control Orders.
Rufford is a beautiful site, steeped in history, with stunning views across the lake, natural surroundings and a relaxed atmosphere, providing an enchanting backdrop to your wedding or partnership ceremony.
£3 for all cars (including blue badge holders)
£1 for motorcycles
£5 for major events
Free for coaches and minibuses with over 12 seats
£30 annual season ticket
The main car park is at Rufford Abbey (off the A614). There is a second car park at Rufford Mill (Wellow Lane - signed for Rufford Mill and Rufford Golf Course). Both car parks are locked at 5.30pm.
There are no concessions on car parking charges, but there are disabled parking spaces at both Abbey and Mill car parks.
2015/16 car park season tickets are on sale, priced £30. They can be used at both Rufford Abbey Country Park and Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre throughout the year. The season ticket also gives free parking on days when a special event car parking charge applies.
Season tickets can be bought from Rufford Abbey Country Park Visitor Information, Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre shop or over the phone on telephone: 01623 821310 (Monday - Friday during office hours).
Spend £15 in a single transaction in one of our on-site shops, café or restaurant and present your ticket to claim a refund of your parking charge. Offer does not apply during special events.
Paths and Surfaces
The park is mostly flat and all public facilities, except the upper-level of the Abbey ruins, can be accessed by wheelchair users.
Most facilities are on the ground floor and both ends of the park have visitor lifts. Hearing loops are available in the Visitor Information Office and Talbot Suite function room.
Accessible toilets are available at Rufford Abbey courtyard and Rufford Mill. There is a Changing Places in Rufford Abbey courtyard. Collect RADAR keys from the Visitor Information Office or nearby shop.
Wheelchair and scooter loan
Free wheelchair loan and electric mobility scooters (for £1.50 per hour) at Visitor Information Office. Please book in advance: 01623 821338 (10.30am to 4.30pm).
01623 821 338