Bestwood Winding Engine House
Bestwood was once a sprawling industrial site. The Winding Engine House is the last remaining part of a vanished colliery and a relic of Victorian industrial engineering.
- open Saturday, 10am - 1pm
- free admission and car parking
- car parks open 10am - 5pm
Get a flavour of life as a miner and experience the sheer size and power of the winding engine.
- Self-guided: you are welcome to look around the exhibits and a recorded audio commentary is available
- Guided: led by members of the Winding Engine House Volunteer Group
Please contact our Rangers to find out about open days or book a tour: 0115 927 3674 (daily, 10.30am – 4.30pm)
- Virtual take a virtual look around the engine house
- Audio: featuring interviews from men who mined here, listen by calling 0115 822 0268
Bestwood Winding Engine House has been inspected and designated a Place of Interest by VisitEngland.
The Dynamo House Café
Open: Saturday, 10am – 12 noon and on Bank Holidays, serving hot drinks and home-made cakes. Run by volunteers from the Friends of Bestwood Country Park and the Bestwood Village WI and all profits benefit the park. There are also picnic tables throughout park.
Wednesday Health Walks
Monthly at 10.30am, Free
Long proven to be one of the best forms of exercise to improve body and mind, this series of invigorating yet gentle 90 minute ranger-led walks are designed to do both.
For further information call 0115 975 3782 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bestwood is a hilly site with steep gradients. Some paths are wheelchair accessible; please contact our rangers for further information
- the Dynamo House and Winding Engine House are fully accessible
- accessible toilet with baby-changing facilities in the Dynamo House and other toilets throughout the park.
0300 500 80 80 | Park rangers and office : 0115 927 3674