We've made some changes to our website. You may find some areas still in development. Read more about this work.

Personal assistants

Personal Assistants (PAs) are employed by people who need social care, either because of their age or disability, to enable them to live as independently as possible in their home. PAs carry out a wide range of tasks including:

  • personal care such as helping someone get washed and dressed
  • cleaning and housework
  • shopping services
  • preparing meals
  • leisure and recreation activities
  • accessing the local community.

Personal Assistants can be employed directly by one employer or can work for a number of different people. Personal Assistants may also work as part of a team of PA’s supporting an individual. People who employ Personal Assistants should have employer’s liability insurance and are registered with HMRC.

If you are interested in becoming a PA, we can offer you free training and accreditation through our Support with Confidence scheme.

Support with Confidence

Support with Confidence is a scheme for Personal Assistants who wish to be accredited and promote themselves on Nottinghamshire Help Yourself.

The Support with Confidence scheme includes:

  • training including e-learning courses (to be completed within two months)
  • two references as part of your application
  • an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check
  • understanding how to meet our code of conduct.

The process is free for PAs and you will have up to three months to complete it. Once you have been accredited, your details will be added to our directory of PAs on Nottinghamshire Help Yourself and anyone looking for support will be able to contact you.

We are promoting Nottinghamshire Help Yourself across the county as the first place to look for people needing social care support, so joining the scheme is likely to increase your chances of finding work (although this cannot be guaranteed). If you are offered a job, the individual will pay for the services directly.

Apply to become a personal assistant

Find out more

Contact our Support with Confidence Team by:

If you are looking for support for yourself then visit our I'm looking for a personal assistant page.

If you are interested in caring for someone in your own home, find out more about becoming a Shared Lives carer.


Share this page?

Contact the Council

Find and talk with us online or contact us directly by online form, email, telephone, post or in person at one of our offices.

Facebook.com/Nottinghamshire Twitter.com/NottsCC Use our online form Visit us in person Call us on 0300 500 80 80