Blue Badge scheme
The Blue Badge scheme helps you park closer to your destination if you’re disabled.
- Blue badge eligibility
- Apply for a blue badge
- Decision-making process
- Use of your blue badge
- Re-apply for a blue badge
Blue badge eligibility
Applications are now being considered under the new government criteria including hidden disabilities.
We are unable to make comment on medical conditions and/or individual circumstances. We would recommend that you consult the guidance to determine your eligibility prior to making an application. Read the Blue Badge application guidance [PDF]
You will automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you:
- receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA)
- receive eight points or more under the 'Moving Around' descriptor of the mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or score 10 points under Activity 11, descriptor E in the 'planning and following a journey' part of the mobility component, which states 'you cannot undertake any journeys because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress'.
- are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
- have been awarded a lump sum benefit at tariff 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
You may be eligible for a badge if you:
- have an enduring and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress; in this case you may be asked to have an independent mobility assessment
- drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and have considerable difficulty in operating all, or some, types of parking meter
- are aged under three years and have to be accompanied everywhere by bulky medical equipment
- are at risk of serious harm, or pose a risk of serious harm to any other person, when walking
- are an organisation caring for disabled people meeting the eligibility criteria. This is entirely at our discretion.