Emergency advice service
We are unable to provide financial support or furniture directly to people in emergency situations. The information below suggests organisations that might be able to help in different situations and emergencies.
Food banks can supply food parcels to people in need. To get this support you need a voucher from a health care professional (such as a doctor or health visitor), social worker or Citizens Advice Bureau. Most food banks require a referral from an agency. General referral agencies for a food bank include Jobcentre Plus, Citizens Advice Bureau and District Councils. See a map of local foodbanks.
If you need financial support whilst awaiting your first benefits payments, either a new claim, a first payment of an increased benefit or a first payment since a change in benefit circumstances you may be eligible for a Short Term Advance from the Department for Work and Pensions. We have a range of information on benefits you may be able to claim.
Managing finances and debt
These organisations may be able to offer support in managing finances and dealing with debt:
- Money Advice Service
- Step Change
- National Debt Line
- Pay Plan
- Citizens Advice
- 2 Shires Credit Union
- Kings money advice centre
- Christians Against Poverty
Furniture and household goods
If you receive means tested benefits and need to purchase non-emergency items for your home which you cannot afford from your regular benefits payments (for example, furniture, electrical appliances) you may be eligible for a Budgeting Loan from your local Jobcentre Plus.
Local credit unions provide assistance in finding affordable credit:
- Nottingham Credit Union – covers the whole of Nottinghamshire
- 2 Shires Credit Union - covers Bassetlaw and Market Warsop
- Hope community project – Worksop
- Furniture project – North Nottinghamshire
- Churches Together - Hucknall
Housing and rent
If you are finding it difficult to pay your rent, contact your local Council for Housing Benefit advice and assistance.
Gas, electricity and water
If you are having difficulties paying for your gas and electricity contact your supplier immediately. Support and advice on paying your fuel bills:
- EDF Energy Trust
- British Gas Energy Trust
- Energy Saving Trust
- npower Energy Fund
- Severn Trent Trust Fund
- SSE Priority Assistance Fund
- E.ON Energy Fund
- Affordable Warmth Obligation
If you are having difficulties as a result of a family breakdown these organisations might be able to help:
- AB Mediation tel: 01623 624505
- Support Line tel: 01708 765200
- Action for Children tel: 0300 1232112
- Women's Aid Integrated Services
- Nottinghamshire Independent Domestic Abuse Services
- Child Maintenance Options
Support for people from abroad
You can find information at the British Red Cross refugee support page.
Health and disability
Many health and disability organisations offer financial support to people in their client groups. There are too many to list here but to find ones that might be able to offer support you can:
- search online for appropriate organisations and contact them to see what support they might be able to offer
- look for your condition on NHS Choices and see if they list any support groups.