St Michael’s Centre is located in the heart of the Peak District National Park and has been welcoming school groups for over 30 years. In 2019 the centre became the first Peak District National Park Ambassador Centre.
School groups benefit from exclusive use and work with a small team of dedicated and professional staff. The centre offers exceptional opportunities to enhance the school curriculum with a range of activities, all designed to take advantage of the landscape surrounding the centre with its rich history and geography.
Private groups are welcome to hire the centre on weekends and school holidays and take advantage of its special location and facilities.
Book now for 2021/2022 residential visits
Our booking period is now open for residential visits taking place in Summer 2021, Autumn 2021 and Spring 2022! Submit your booking form using the link below.
Watch our activity videos to get a taste of action!
Take a look around
- Situated in Hathersage, Derbyshire (Peak District)
- 2 miles from Stanage Edge
- 6 miles from Eyam and Castleton
- Sheffield 12 miles
- Mansfield 26 miles
- Nottingham 40 miles
- 38 beds in 7 dormitories
- 2 x 2 bed (teacher rooms), 1 x 4 bed, 2 x 6 bed, 1 x 8 bed and 1 x 10 bed dormitories
- Cottage with, twin, double and sofa bed
- Boys and girls bathrooms
- Two single adult bathrooms
- Choose from a selection of Adventure walks, and discover local history and geography:
- Stanage Edge
- Padley Chapel
- Bole Hill Quarry
- Or enjoy a shorter local walk, a favourite is a visit to Thorpe Farm to try the local ice cream!
- Environmental studies: (adapted to suit age group)
- Stream study
- Fauna and flora investigations
- Conservation activities:
- Dry stone walling
- Help the Peak District National Park rangers on a local project
- Weather study during adventure walks
- Orienteering and map reading
- Boat building
- Village studies
- Team building / problem solving
- Swimming in our local heated outdoor pool
- Bat detectors
Check out our example programmes outlining the opportunities for either a 3 or 5 day residential at St Michael’s. These offer an outline of the activities we can provide, but can be adjusted to your learning outcomes - just chat to the team.
- large dining room/group room
- games area
- Table tennis and table top football
- Small library
- fully equipped kitchen
- showers and toilets
- drying room
- Parking for 5 cars
- All bedding, including duvets, sheets and pillowcases
Prices start from £57.20 per pupil for 2 nights 3 days stay self-catered
Prices start from £82.20 per pupil for 2 nights 3 days catered
Cottage from £60 per night.
Please note prices may vary, contact the centre for a bespoke quote.