Director of Public Health issues reminder that everyone has part to play in stopping the spread of Coronavirus

20 August 2020

Nottinghamshire's Director of Public Health, Jonathan Gribbin, is calling on all businesses to continue to promote and encourage the mandatory use of face coverings alongside other routine social distancing in all indoor settings as defined by the Government. Customers are being urged to assist businesses to uphold these requirements.

The list of premises where individuals are required to wear face coverings when indoors, unless exempt, are:

- supermarkets, shops, shopping centres and other retail premises which offer goods or services for sale or hire
- tourism and leisure, including hotels, museums, cinemas, indoor zoos and theme parks
- close contact services, including hairdressers and barbershops
- community centres, youth centres, social clubs and libraries
- place of worship
- premises providing professional, legal or financial services such as post offices and banks.

Face coverings are not required in restaurants with table service, bars and pubs. If other indoor premises have a café or seating area where people can eat or drink, then a face covering can be removed in this area only.

A full list of premises is listed on the Government's website. face coverings should also be worn on public transport and when visiting hospitals.

Coronavirus (Covid-19) is spread by droplets from coughs, sneezes and speaking. Scientific evidence states that, when used correctly, wearing a face covering may reduce the spread of Coronavirus droplets in certain circumstances, helping to protect others.

Since face coverings are mainly intended to protect others, rather than the wearer, from Coronavirus, they are not a replacement for social distancing and regular hand washing. When combined, these three guidelines are the best way to prevent the transmission of the virus.

The County Council is also taking this opportunity to remind everyone to follow all Government advice, including:
- providing full and accurate details of everyone when visiting a café, pub or restaurant as part of the NHS Test and Trace service
- only socialising in any indoor setting with one other household at any one time
- only meeting in a group of up to six people from different households in any outdoor setting
- sticking to the guidelines around car sharing
- self isolating immediately if symptoms appear and booking a free test by calling 119 or visiting

Jonathan Gribbin, Director of Public Health at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: "I wish to acknowledge the hard work of local businesses who've been making arrangements to keep their customers and communities safe. As part of this it is important that everyone follows the Government guidance, including wearing face coverings where this is required. I want to encourage business owners to ensure that they have arrangements to uphold this. As customers, every one of us can help our local businesses by using face coverings where they are required, and by giving full and accurate contact details when they are requested. This must become a routine part of life for all of us."

The police can take measures in members of the public do not comply with the law on face coverings without a valid exemption and transport operators can deny access to their public transport services if a passenger is not wearing a face covering, or direct them to wear one or leave a service.

Jonathan continues; "We have also been made aware that individuals are not always being asked to leave their details for the NHS Test and Trace service. For this scheme to be wholly effective, every member of the party must leave their contact details, as it is less effective if just one person leaves their information."

Across the county, officers from district councils will be visiting local hospitality providers to ensure that these businesses are fully briefed on how to record this data and share it with the Test and Trace service when required.  

If you develop any of the following symptoms, including a new continuous cough, a high temperature or a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of smell or taste, then you and your household must self-isolate and apply for a free test. To book a test, call 119 or visit

Find us on

Share this article