Step up to social work degree
Do you want to make a difference to children and their families?
Are you interested in becoming a social worker within children’s services?
Then the Step Up to Social Work degree might be the course for you!
The next application round will open in February 2019. Successful applicants will start their training in January 2020.
Applications will soon be open online – register your interest now.
What is Step Up to Social work?
Step Up to Social Work is a fully funded 14 month intensive training programme. It provides all the knowledge and skills required to become a qualified social worker. When completed, you will receive a post graduate degree in social work allowing you to register with the Health and Care Professions Council, the current regulating body and work as a qualified social worker.
During the course, you will be assigned two practice placements in statutory children’s services teams, each part of a highly skilled and motivated working environment.
You will have individual support from experienced practice educators as well as from team members and a team manager. In addition you will have the support from a local tutor appointed by the university.
Eligibility criteria does vary with each intake. As a guide, the criteria for applying in 2016:
applicants must have one of the following in any discipline except social work from a UK higher education institution (or an approved overseas equivalent):
- a minimum 2:1 level 6 degree qualification
- a minimum 2:2 honours degree plus a higher degree (level 7 or above, which can include a master’s degree or a Postgraduate Certificate in Education)
Applicants must also have all of the following:
- GCSEs in English or English language and mathematics at grade C or above (or approved equivalent)
- experience of voluntary or paid work with children, young people and families
- the right to remain and work in the UK
Non-British, European Union (EU) nationals without the appropriate study visa at the point of applying to the Step Up programme must have been an EU national for three years or longer.
The Step Up to Social Work programme is supported by Nottinghamshire County Council, the East Midlands Regional Partnership and Manchester Metropolitan University.
For any further information, please contact:
- Diana Bentley, Principal Social Worker: email email@example.com or tel: 0115 80 40768
- Margery Nonclercq, Social Work Practice Consultant: email firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 0115 80 40956
at Nottinghamshire County Council for an informal discussion.