When to apply for a school place

If your child needs a school place for September 2022, and lives in Nottinghamshire, you should apply for a school place through Nottinghamshire County Council - even if the schools you want are outside Nottinghamshire.

If you’re not sure whether you live in the area covered by Nottinghamshire County Council, you can find your local council on GOV.UK.

Before you apply, Admissions to schools: guide for parents [PDF] and school information - they contain important information about how school places are allocated, a summary of the oversubscription criteria for Nottinghamshire schools, and information on the admission process.

Important dates

Primary to secondary transfer (Year 7) and transfer to a school with an atypical age of admission

  • Apply from: 9 August 2021
  • Closing date: 31 October 2021
  • National Offer Day: 1 March 2022

First admission (reception) and infant to junior/primary transfer (year 3)

  • Apply from: 8 November 2021
  • Closing date: 15 January 2022
  • National Offer Day: 19 April 2022

More information about applying is available. Once you have read all of the information, you can apply for a school place online.

Apply during a school year (in-year applications)

An in-year application is for children requiring a school place during the school year, rather than at the usual transfer time to school. For all other applications or details about how to change schools or apply midway through a school year:

Share this page?