Council Tax

Paying Council Tax

Council Tax is collected by district councils, not by the County Council.

Your district council:

  • sends out your Council Tax bill
  • works out if you are entitled to any discounts or benefits
  • collects your council tax
  • offers advice if you are having trouble paying.

Once the money has been collected, your district council keeps its share of the money and distributes the rest to the other agencies, including the County Council. 

For more information on paying Council Tax is and how it is calculated, contact your district council.

Council Tax bands

The amount of Council Tax you pay depends on the value of the house you live in. 

Every house has been put into one of eight bands, based on the value of the house on 1 April 1991.

The eight bands are A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H. The cheapests houses are in band A and the most expensive houses are in band H.

More than 60% of houses in Nottinghamshire are in bands A and B. 

We cannot say exactly how much your total Council Tax bill is because we do not decide the total amount.

Your Council Tax helps to pay for local public services provided by:

  • Nottinghamshire County Council
  • Nottinghamshire Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner
  • Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service
  • your district council
  • your parish or town council (if you have one).

The County Council's part of Council Tax for 2018/19 is:

  • Band A: £885.90
  • Band B: £1,033.56
  • Band C: £1,181.20
  • Band D: £1,328.85
  • Band E: £1,624.14
  • Band F: £1,919.45
  • Band G: £2,214.75
  • Band H: £2,657.70.

In addition to the increase in Council Tax the County Council has also approved an additional Government precept solely for Adult Social Care of 2.00%. The impact of this is:

  • Band A: £60.39
  • Band B: £70.45
  • Band C: £80.52
  • Band D: £90.58
  • Band E: £110.71
  • Band F: £130.84
  • Band G: £150.97
  • Band H: £181.16.

Payments to the other agencies need to be added to these figures to give the total amount. We, the police and the fire service charge the same amount across the whole county. Each district and parish council sets it own amount and so the total bill will be different in each area. 

To find out how much your total Council Tax is, contact your district council.

Where your Council Tax goes

Visit our funding and spending page to find out about where your Council Tax goes. 

Share this page?