Eating a healthy, balanced diet is essential for maintaining good health. Food provides us with energy and essential nutrients and you need the right amount of each to be healthy.
A diet with the following food will provide you with enough nutrients and energy to stay healthy:
- carbohydrates such as potatoes, rice and pasta
- plenty of fruit and vegetables
- some protein-rich foods such as meat, fish and lentils
- some milk and dairy foods
- not too much fat, salt or sugar.
The energy you get from food is measured in calories:
- if you eat too many calories you put on weight
- if you eat too few calories you lose weight.
You need to eat the right amount of calories for the amount of activity you do.
For more information on healthy eating visit the NHS Choices website.