Funded childcare places for two-year-olds

If you have a young child they may be entitled to a funded nursery or early years place.

The criteria for eligibility is different if your child is two-years-old or if they are three- or four-years-old.

Below, you can apply or enquire for a funded  early years place for your child below if they are eligible.


Your two-year-old child may qualify for a funded early years place if:

  • your home address is in Nottinghamshire, and 
  • they are classed as a 'looked after child' (a looked after child is a child who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services function. The term 'looked after child' would include a child who was previously 'looked after' but, immediately thereafter, became subject to an adoption, resident or special guardianship order) 
  • have left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order.

OR you receive one of the following benefits:

  • income support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related employment support allowance
  • support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • guarantee element of state pension credit
  • child tax credit and also that your household’s yearly income does not exceed £16,190 (as assessed by His Majesty's Revenue and Customs)
  • you receive Working Tax Credits and your household’s gross annual earnings are no more than £16,190 as above
  • Universal Credit - if you and your partner are on a low income from work (this usually means a combined income of less than £15,400 after tax)
  • your child receives Disability Living Allowance.


  • your child has an Education Health and Care plan.

If you’re a non-EEA citizen who cannot claim benefits your 2-year-old may get free childcare if you are getting support under the Immigration and Asylum Act and have either:

  • claimed asylum in the UK and are waiting for a decision (known as ‘part 6’)
  • been refused asylum in the UK (known as ‘section 4’)

A 2-year-old you care for may also get free childcare if your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, and you have any of the following:

  • leave to remain with ‘no recourse to public funds’ on family or private life grounds
  • support from your local council because you have ‘a child in need’, for example they have a disability or a child protection plan
  • the right to live in the UK because you’re the main carer of a British citizen (known as a ‘Zambrano Carer’)

When to apply

If they are two between:

  • 1 September and 31 December – Apply between October and December, eligible from January (spring term)
  • 1 January and 31 March – Apply between January and March eligible from April (summer term)
  • 1 April and 31 August – Apply between mid-May and August eligible from September (autumn term)

Please note: our system allows parents or customer service centre representatives to submit applications only up to 16 weeks before the term in which the child would be entitled to start their free place (see dates in previous paragraph). If it is more than 16 weeks before the term start date then you will not be able to proceed with your application. Please apply at a later date in this instance.

Places are available in Ofsted-rated good or outstanding providers on the Nottinghamshire directory for up to 15 hours per week for 38 weeks per year (term time only). 

Get started

Alternative ways to do this

If you are unable to complete the form online, you can contact us on 0300 500 80 80 or

Share this page?