Communication for All: An Introduction to Using Signs and Symbols in Early Years Settings
Course title: Communication for All: An Introduction to Using Signs and Symbols in Early Years Settings
Course reference: 9CLL
Course Tutors: Speech and language therapists (NCFP)
Target audience: This course is for the entire early years workforce. It is encouraged that all early years workers who work face to face with children and families attend this training course.
About this course
Nationally it is well known that signs and symbols can be used to support children’s development. They are particularly effective when used in the Early Years to support behaviour, emergent literacy, attention and speaking and listening skills and their use is advocated within the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Nottinghamshire has an inclusive signs and symbols philosophy and supports the use of signs and symbols for ALL children and promotes the use of a consistent approach to the signs and symbols used with all children in Nottinghamshire.
This very practical and fun course:
- teaches participants a small number of useful everyday signs that they can use daily in their setting
- introduces participants to the use of communication in print symbols software
- supports practitioners to understand how to use signs and symbols with all children in their setting, following the county advice.
In addition participants are encouraged to think about physical environments and how these impact on children’s communication skills. A brief over view of communication friendly environments is discussed. Consideration is also given to how to audit your environment and set actions to raise the standards of practice.
By the end of the course practitioners will:
- Understand the philosophy behind using signs and symbols to support communication for all children
- Support practitioners to consider and develop communication enhancing environments
- Teach participants a small number of useful everyday signs that they can use daily in their setting
- Briefly introduce the use of Communicate in Print symbols software
- Support practitioners how to implement a systematic approach to using signs and symbols with all children in their setting.
Participants must attend both sessions.
|Date||Time||No. of Sessions||Venue||How to book|
22 January 2019
5 February 2019
|1pm to 4pm||2||
Hawtonville Children's Centre, Bowbridge Road, Newark, NG24 4EG
|Book online using Eventbrite|
21 May 2019
4 June 2019
|9am to 12pm||2||
Innovation Suite, County Hall, Loughborough Road, West Bridgford, NG2 7QP
|Book online using Eventbrite|
The following costs will apply to this training course:
- NCC/CITY EY provider: £60
- NCC/City school: £120
- Non-Nottinghamshire Provider: £120
Courses are payable by credit or debit card at the time of booking, please follow the instructions on Eventbrite – invoices will not be sent for these courses.
You must use the Eventbrite link to book a course. You cannot contact the course admin to book.
Make sure you have your manager's approval before booking on a course.
If you have booked a place but find you cannot make it remember to cancel your place so others can attend.
Please remember to bring your Eventbrite ticket on the day.
Please Note: Although when booking onto courses via Eventbrite it indicates the course is free, this is incorrect. There is a charge of £50.00 per person for this event. The charges will be made via invoice after the course has run.
If you fail to attend a course you have booked on without cancelling your place via your Eventbrite account no refund will be given.
To view or change your booking in any way (such as cancelling your place) you must setup an Eventbrite account.
The email address you use to set up your account must be the same you used when originally booking the course.
Make sure your email address is correct or you will not receive any of the course information or notifications.
If you cannot go on a course and want a colleague to go in your place:
- if there are still places left then your colleague must book their own place and you must cancel yours
- if a course is full then telephone 0115 97 72510 to change the booking.
If you need any information then contact our business support team by:
- telephone: 0115 977 2510
- email: email@example.com.