Social Work Students

What types of roles could I undertake as a qualified social worker?

Social workers are employed by a wide range of organisations, including Local Authorities, hospitals, voluntary & independent organisations, academic institutions involved in social work training, and recruitment agencies.

Most social work roles are divided into two main specialisms – those who work in adults’ social care, and those who work in children’s social care. Whilst you are undergoing your social work training, you should have the opportunity to experience both fields of social work practice and will most likely make a decision about which you’d prefer to specialise in by the end of your second year – though some students wait until their third year to make their final choice.

To find out more about the types of roles that you could consider within each of these specialisms, visit our Day in the Life page.

Share this page?