Homelessness support

Targeted support may be provided to young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

Support accommodation providers

All young people aged 16 and 17 in supported accommodation will have a named worker, known as the "lead professional". This will be either a Targeted Support or Youth Justice case manager or a social worker. They will coordinate their assessment and plan and will make sure the right professionals are involved.

Where appropriate they will work with the young person and their family to negotiate a return home. There should be regular contact between the key worker in the accommodation setting and the lead professional, including three way meetings with the young person to monitor progress and to review the plan. Wherever consent can be obtained the assessment and plan will be shared in their entirety with the key worker. The plan will set out what goals the young person wishes to achieve, how they will be met and in what timescale and which professionals will be available to help them. It will also set out how often professionals will have face-face contact with the young person.

Where young people are not in education, training or employment part of the Targeted Support role will be to help them find a college place, training course and job. It will be Targeted Support that validates their claim for benefits, a role previously undertaken by Connexions. Where there is a crisis or repeated behaviours which threaten a supported accommodation placement the lead professional will discuss with the key worker what additional interventions are needed to avoid eviction or to agree how the young person will be successfully moved on.

Those young people who reach the age of eighteen whilst in supported accommodation will continue to be able to access advice from Targeted Support or from a leaving care worker until their 21st birthday in most cases, although they will not always continue to have a lead professional and plan.


Young people are assessed using a structured assessment to look at need and risk. In Targeted Support the Early Help Assessment Form (EHAF) is used. When young people are involved in the youth justice system the "Asset" tool is used. Assessments are based on information from the young person themselves, their family, involved professionals and historical records.

Targeted Support has access to information from a number of different agency record systems to inform their assessments. Where young people are assessed as posing a risk of harm to others or to themselves a more in depth assessment will be completed along with more detailed plans to manage the assessed risk.

Useful documents

Share this page?