< Back to: Welfare benefits

War Pension Scheme

The scheme remains in place for those with existing awards on 06.04.05 and for any new claimants whose injury, ill health or bereavement was caused by service before 06.04.05.

The Armed Forces Compensation scheme replaces the War Pensions scheme for injuries, illnesses or death caused by service on or after 06.04.05.

Who can apply

This benefit is aimed at the long-term ill, disabled and bereaved. 

Claims can still be made if disablement or death due to service occured prior to 06.04.05. You are not required to have been on active service, as long as the injury or illness is linked to your time in service.

Claims can also be made for illnesses suffered during service which have caused permanent damage or pre-existing conditions which have worsened through service.

How to apply

  • Visit the GOV.UK website to download an application form
  • Call 0800 1914 218 to request an application form.

Further information

Visit the Veterans UK website