< Back to: Welfare benefits

Short term advance

Short term advances of your benefits are available to claimants of any contributory or income-related benefit. This would include benefits such as Employment and Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit and Universal Credit.

Who can apply

You need to be able to demonstrate that you are in financial need. They are intended to help you:

  • Through the period before benefit is paid by providing an advance of your future benefit award;
  • If you have experienced a change of circumstances that will increase the amount of benefit to which you are entitled
  • If it is impractical for benefit to be paid to you on the due date(eg because of a technical problem in processing the claim or payment).

How to apply

Go back to the benefit you are claiming and ask them to consider a short term advance. This may be Jobcentre Plus or the Pension Service depending on which benefit you are claiming.