< Back to: Welfare benefits

Personal Indepedence Payment

Personal Independence Payment has started to replace Disability Living Allowance for people of working age with a health condition or disability.

A Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is money to help with the extra costs caused by having long term ill-health or a disability. Entitlement to PIP is not based on your condition, but how your condition affects you.

A PIP is non-means tested and non-taxable and is payable whether you are in work or not.

Receiving a PIP may entitle you to other benefits (or increase the value of other benefits).

If you receive a PIP you will be regularly assessed to ensure the help you get is correct.

There are two components to PIPs and each component has two rates:

Mobility Component:

  • enhanced rate: £61.20
  • standard rate: £23.20

Daily Living Component

  • enhanced rate: £87.65
  • standard rate: £58.70

The amount you actually receive depends on your ability to complete 12 key everyday activities. 10 of these are daily living activities and 2 are mobility activities. Each activity has a set of descriptors which describe your ability to carry it out.

Who can apply

You must:

  • be over 16 but under state pension age
  • have a long-term health condition or disability
  • have had these difficulties for 3 months and expect them to last for at least 9 months.

To claim PIP you can live alone or with other people.

How to apply

There are several stages to claiming PIP:

Thinking about claiming

Those already getting DLA will be contacted to ask if they would like to claim PIP. For existing and new claimants see https://www.gov.uk/pip-checker for more information on:

  • if PIP affects you
  • when your Disability Living Allowance may be affected
  • when you can make a new claim for PIP.

Make a claim

To start a claim for PIP contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP):

  • telephone: 0800 917 2222
  • textphone: 0800 917 7777

The application line is open Monday to Friday – 8am to 6pm.

You can either do this yourself or get someone else to do it for you. You will be asked to complete an identity check and answer some basic questions. You will then be sent a form called 'How your disability affects you'.

Tell your story

Complete the 'How your disability affects you' form. Return the form to the address given along with any supporting evidence you think necessary.


Your claim details, form and supporting evidence are passed to a health professional. A health professional will review the claim against the activities and their descriptors. Most people will be required to attend a face-to-face consultation. Home visits may also be made.


A DWP decision maker will look at the information supplied on the claim form, what the health professional says and anything else that has been provided. You will be sent a letter with their decision about the level and length of PIP you will be awarded.

People who are terminally ill

People who are terminally ill (where death can be reasonably be expected within 6 months) automatically get the enhanced rate of the daily living component if they apply under Special Rules. The time scales (3 months/9 months) do not apply.

If a person meets the criteria for claiming under Special Rules they will:

  • not have to complete the 'How your disability affects you' form
  • not have to attend a face to face consultation
  • have their claim dealt with quickly
  • be entitled to mobility component of PIP if they meet the conditions and will also be paid this quickly.

Telephone 0800 917 2222 to claim under special rules. 

Existing claims

To discuss an existing claim telephone 0800 121 4433

Appeal a decision

If you are refused PIP you will get a phone call explaining the reasons for the refusal as well as a formal decision letter.

If you disagree with this refusal, or you have been awarded a smaller amount that what you think you should receive, you have one calendar month from the date of issue on the decision letter to request a mandatory reconsideration.

A mandatory reconsideration is where a decision maker will look at all the evidence and make a fresh decision. You can supply extra evidence to support your claim that the decision should be changed. You will be sent a mandatory reconsideration notice that states the new decision and the reasons for it.

If you still disagree with the decision, you have one calendar month from the date on the reconsideration notice to lodge an appeal directly with the Courts and Tribunal Service. Use the SSCS1 appeal form and include a copy of your mandatory reconsideration notice.

Further information