< Back to: Welfare benefits

Housing benefit

A benefit paid to help you with the costs of your rent. You must be liable for the rent for your property. If your rent is too high or the property is too big for your household then Housing Benefit may not cover all of your rent.

Most people of working age will now claim Universal Credit which includes a Housing Element instead of a separate claim for Housing Benefit.

Who can apply

This benefit is aimed at the long-term ill, disabled and those over the state pension age. 

You may qualify if you are working and/or on a low income or if you are in receipt of Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit), Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-based Employment and Support Allowance.

How to apply

To make a claim for Housing Benefit or to discuss an existing claim you should contact your local Council, to whom you pay your Council Tax.

Further information

Visit the GOV.UK housing benefit pages