< Back to: Welfare benefits

Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit has been replaced by Universal Credit for most people. You can only make a new claim for Child Tax Credit if you get the severe disability premium or got it in the past month and are still eligible for it.

Who can apply

This benefit is aimed at unemployed or part-time parents or parents with a disabled child. 

You are eligible if you are working, in which case your entitlement will be based on your income and your circumstances. If you are in receipt of Income Support, Pension Credit, Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income based Employment and Support Allowance you will be entitled to the maximum amount for your circumstances.

How to apply

Phone 0345 300 3900 to request an application form. 

Further information