You could get Carer's Credit if you're caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week. People who are not eligible for Carer's Allowance may qualify for Carer's Credit.
You get a class 1 credit for each week in which you are caring. These then contribute to you National Insurance credits for others benefits and your state retirement pension.
Who can apply
This benefit is aimed at carers.
To get Carer's Credit you must be:
- Aged 16 or over
- Under state pension age
- Looking after one or more people for at least 20 hours a week.
The person you're looking after must get one of the following:
- Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
- Attendance Allowance
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Personal independence Payment
- Armed Forces Independence Payment.
How to apply
To apply contact the Carers Allowance Unit by calling 0345 608 4321.