Legal formalities

Having made the decision of setting the date and venue for your ceremony, you will both need to carry out legal preliminaries called “giving notice” of your intention to marry/form a civil partnership. This will involve each of you attending the registration office which governs the area in which you live, by appointment, to provide basic personal details about yourselves (see below).

Please note: giving notice is a legal requirement which carries a statutory fee. This is not a deposit for your ceremony.

At the time of booking your appointment to give notice of marriage you will be advised what information and documents you need to provide, depending on your circumstances. For further information see marriages and civil partnerships in England and Wales: documents you'll need to give notice -

Share this page?