Joining and using libraries
If you are a member of Nottinghamshire Libraries, you can use any library in Nottinghamshire or Nottingham City.
- find your nearest library (postcode search)
- list of libraries in Nottinghamshire
- map of libraries in Nottinghamshire
- mobile libraries
Membership is free to everyone. People who live in Nottinghamshire and surrounding authorities can become members.
The surrounding authorities are:
- Nottingham City
- Derby City
- Leicester City
There are two ways to join:
To join at a library, bring a proof of identity which includes your name and address, such as a driving licence, bill or rental agreement. You'll then be given your library card which you can use straight away.
No official ID? You could join now online. If you join at a library, temporary registration will allow you to use the PCs and to borrow up to six items. Either way we will post your card to you.
Children and young people under 14 can join online or in a library but will need to have parental consent.
People visiting Nottinghamshire can also join in person, with a temporary membership.
- you can have up to 24 items on loan at any one time.
- most items can be kept for three weeks.
- all DVDs are one week loan only.
- if you need to keep an item a little longer it is usually possible to renew it. You can renew items up to four times. Renewals can be made by
- telephone: 0300 500 80 80 or 24 hour automated service: 0345 330 4435
Libraries also have reference books which can only be used in the library.
If an item isn't in your local library you can ask to place a hold by completing a card in the library or place a hold for an item online. A charge is made for this service.
If items are unavailable within the county we can get them from elsewhere in the UK. Please ask at your local library.
Most of our services are free of charge. This includes:
- using a library computer
- borrowing books
- regular children's activities such as Story Hullaballoo and Rattle Rhyme and Roll.
There are some charges and fees. These include:
- loan charges for most DVDs
- charges to request items that aren't in your library (no fee for under 14s).
- small fee if items are overdue (no fee for under 14s).
- charge for printing from library computers.
Nottinghamshire libraries have been assessed for disabled access. Everyone can use the libraries at ground level. Some libraries are awaiting ramps etc to reach upper floors. Please ask a member of staff for help if you have difficulty accessing any of the services because of the library layout.
Information on the accessibility of specific libraries can be found in the list of libraries.
Your home library
If you are unable to visit your local library we can arrange for books to be brought to you. A friendly WRVS volunteer can bring a selection of books and talking books to you, in your own home.
For your peace of mind, all our volunteers are Criminal Record Bureau checked
For more details contact
Royal Voluntary Service Home Library Service Co-ordinator
- telephone: 01623 664524
- mobile: 07834 753 385
- website: royalvoluntaryservice.org.uk
- telephone: 01623 664943
- or speak to a member of staff at your local library.
We also need volunteers. If you know someone who could help deliver the service, call us or ask at your your local library.