Cycling is a great way to get around and keep fit at the same time but before setting out on your bike it's important to make sure you'll be safe when cycling. We've put together some useful information about cycle safety including:
If you feel you need a bit of support to get more confident on your bike check out the training from local organisation Ridewise.
Remember that as well as cycling on the roads, there are plenty of off-road cycling options in Nottinghamshire. We have a list of cycle routes to help you plan a great day out. See some ideas of where to cycle for leisure in Nottinghamshire.
- Plan your route before setting out on your journey
- Be a confident and considerate cyclist and make eye contact with other road users, particularly drivers
- Look all around for traffic before carrying out any manoeuvres
- Be watchful and anticipate other road users actions
- Make sure other road users have seen you before changing your road position
- Wear bright clothing, ideally a high visibility jacket during the day and at night
- Reduce your risk of serious head injury by always wearing a cycle helmet, even when cycling off road.
Also see the following websites: