[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Grass cutting and trees

New contact details for grass cutting enquiries

Ashfield District Council, Broxtowe Borough Council and Mansfield District Council will be delivering the grass cutting service on behalf of the County Council in their areas for the next three years. If you are a resident in the Ashfield, Broxtowe or Mansfield areas, you now have a new number to call for any enquiries about grass cutting.

Grass verges on trunk roads and housing estates

Warning icon

We are responsible for cutting the grass verges alongside Nottinghamshire's roads apart from the Trunk Roads which the Highways Agency maintains, tel: 08457 50 40 30.

If you live in Ashfield, Broxtowe or Mansfield you should contact your district council:

Ashfield District Council
tel: 0800 183 84 84
email: environment@ashfield-dc.gov.uk

Broxtowe Borough Council
tel: 0115 917 7777
email: environment@broxtowe.gov.uk

Mansfield District Council
tel: 01623 463 463

Many grassed areas in and around housing estates are not part of the highway and cutting these is not our responsibility. District councils usually do this.

We have responsibility for maintaining the verges and trees along the road to meet road safety standards along the 4,165km of roads that we maintain.

Grass cutting

We cut the grass five times a year in urban areas and twice a year in rural areas. This is for road safety reasons rather than visual appearance. In urban areas the grass is cut to 75mm or below and we do not collect the grass cuttings. This means that a lawn-like finish is not achieved.

We carry out weed control twice a year.

There are a few verges which are deemed conservation verges due to the special flora and fauna they contain. These are only cut once a year, usually in September.

Cutting the grass outside your own property

Many residents and businesses prefer a lawn-like finish to the grass outside their properties and we recognise the important work that residents and businesses do in cutting the grass outside their properties.

We've put together a list of points to consider when working in a public space and near to traffic:

  • Pick a quiet time when there are fewer people and cars around
  • If the road is busy it is a good idea to wear a high-visibility jacket
  • Do not cut wet grass or when it is raining or visibility is poor
  • Remove stones and other loose objects from the grass before starting
  • Check for metal covers for utility apparatus, and hidden holes
  • Stop mowing if people are passing
  • If the site is sloping, mow across with a push mower but up and down with a ride on mower if there is space to do so
  • When working right by the road edge, face the oncoming traffic.

Many grassed areas in and around housing estates are not part of the highway and cutting these is not our responsibility. The district council usually does this.

If you have grass cuttings from your property that you need to dispose of please contact your local district council to see if they offer a service for the collection of garden waste in your area.

Fly tipping of garden waste should be reported to the relevant district council.

Most hedges and trees by the road are not owned by us, but by adjacent landowners, who are responsible for maintaining them. However, we can make sure work is carried out if they present a danger to road users.

Trees by the road

If branches of a tree, hedge or bush are overhanging the road and posing a danger to road users by obscuring traffic signs/signals, we will prune the branches if the tree is owned and managed by us. If the tree is on private land we can serve notice on the landowners if necessary to ensure any danger or obstruction is removed.

Neighbours' trees and hedges

Posing a danger to neighbouring properties

If a neighbour’s tree is in such a condition that makes it a danger to neighbouring properties, then the district council may serve a notice on the tree owner to make the tree safe within 21 days. If the owner does not take action, the district council may carry out work to make the tree safe and recover costs from the tree owner.

Posing a danger to road users

If a neighbour’s tree is in such a condition that makes it a danger to road users, for example, by falling into the road, then our highways team may serve a notice on the tree owner to remove the danger within 14 days. If the owner does not take action, the highways team may carry out the work and recover costs from the tree owner.

Blocking your light

If a neighbour’s tree is blocking your light you cannot force them to cut it down. As long as the tree is safe and is not causing damage, your neighbour is entitled to grow the tree.

If a neighbour's hedge is blocking your light and you wish to take action, you may be able to do so under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003. Please contact your district council for advice.

Overhanging your property

If a neighbour’s tree or hedge is growing over into your property, you cannot make them cut it back. However, you do have the right to remove overgrowing branches yourself, but only back to the common boundary and as long as any cuttings are offered back to the tree or hedge owner.

If leaves have blown onto your property from a neighbour’s tree, you cannot expect the tree owner to clean up the leaves or charge them if you do so.

Reporting a problem


For all areas of Nottinghamshire:

Grass cutting

For Bassetlaw, Gedling, Newark and Sherwood, Rushcliffe areas:

For Ashfield area:

For Broxtowe area:

For Mansfield area:

  • tel: 01623 463463 (Mansfield District Council).

Trunk roads

The Highways Agency maintain the A46, A1, A453, A52 and M1 trunk roads in Nottinghamshire - tel: 08457 50 40 30 to report any problems with these.

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close