In order to erect and maintain scaffolding, hoarding or other structures on or over the roads in Nottinghamshire you are required to obtain a licence for each location from the Highway Authority. We deal with licence applications for all Nottinghamshire districts. For licences in Nottingham city contact Nottingham City Council: www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk
How to get a licence
To apply for a licence you need:
- an application form
- a copy of the Nottinghamshire County Council Standard Conditions. These set out the requirements and legal obligations that you will have to fulfil in order to erect a structure on or over the road.
Download the Application Form and Standard Conditions [PDF]
To complete the application form you must state where, when and what type of scaffolding/hoarding you wish to erect. You must also:
- Declare that you have received and will conform to the Nottinghamshire County Council Standard Conditions
- Provide evidence that you hold Public Liability Insurance with a limit of no less than £5,000,000
- Declare that the Utilities have been consulted and agree to the proposals
- Declare that you understand that the responsibility for ensuring compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Act, 1974 is that of the Licensee and his/her contractor and not of the Highway Authority or it’s Agent.
Please return the completed application form to the address below:
Nottinghamshire County Council
TBH - Highways Management
Tel: 0115 9773799
Fax: 0115 9773614
Charges for licences will depend upon the length of the proposed structure and on how long it is required to be in the road.
How licence application charges are calculated [PDF 17KB]
If an invoice is requested by the scaffold company an additional charge will be made to cover administration costs.