[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Placing and maintaining cables or pipes in the road

Contact us

Telephone icon

For further information about Section 50 Licences contact:

  • Highways North (Ashfield, Mansfield, Bassetlaw, Newark) tel: 01623 520739

  • Highways South (Broxtowe, Rushcliffe, Gedling) tel: 0115 977 4349

Section 50 Licence

Only utility companies have a legal right within their national licences to dig up the roads and to then place and maintain their pipes, cables, and other parts of their network into or on it.

However as a private individual or a non-utility company you can apply to the County Council for a licence under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 to allow you to place and maintain a specific piece of cable, pipe or similar in the road. Typically you will need a competent contractor who has relevant experience to carry out the necessary works.

There are a number of requirements that you and your contractor will have to fulfil in order to be issued with a licence and details of these can be found in the application pack below. 

Licence charges

Charges are:

£486 for a Street Works Licence to place new apparatus in the road. Apparatus includes drains, cables, ducts, sewer pipes, water and gas pipes, etc.

£314 for consent to work on existing apparatus in the road.

A further charge of £7 is made if an invoice is requested, to cover our administration costs. 

Apply for a Section 50 Licence

The Section 50 Application Pack includes all the necessary information to enable you to complete the application:

Usually applications will need a minimum of five weeks notice before the date that you propose to start your work, but it may need more depending on the traffic management required, which could be up to three months.

Once completed, return the application form, together with a cheque made payable to Nottinghamshire County Council for the appropriate amount, to the relevant Area Office below:

Ashfield, Mansfield, Bassetlaw and Newark areas

Highways North Area Office
Nottinghamshire County Council
Highways Management
Welbeck House
Darwin Drive
Sherwood Energy Village
NG22 9FF

Tel: 01623 520739
Fax: 01623 520019
Email: highwaysnorth.en@nottscc.gov.uk

Broxtowe, Rushcliffe and Gedling areas

Highways South Area Office
Nottinghamshire County Council
Highways Management
Trent Bridge House
Fox Road
West Bridgford

Tel: 0115 9774753
Fax: 0115 9773614
Email: highways-south.admin@nottscc.gov.uk

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close