Special Access Schemes are for people who have particular mobility difficulties. It allows them to drive and park their vehicles in certain pedestrian areas in Nottinghamshire.
Who can have a permit
You are entitled to a permit if you receive any of the following as a result of a disability:
- Free road tax for your own or someone else's car
- The higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
- people who are over 65 years old and have severe difficulty in walking may qualify. We will ask for further medical information to support your application.
Where and how to use the permit
A special access permit is valid for all special access schemes in Nottinghamshire. A list of special access schemes is shown at the bottom of this web page.
You must clearly display the permit on the nearside window whenever you are in the pedestrian area, including when you first enter. You should remove it at all other times.
On the back of each permit is a photograph of the holder. You must show this if asked by a Traffic Warden, Police Officer or Civil Enforcement Officer.
Holders of a special access permit can park in the pedestrian area for a maximum of three hours.
When in a pedestrian zone:
- Pedestrians have right of way
- Only park in the pedestrian area if absolutely necessary
- Permit holders may park for a maximum of three hours
- Never park where it would cause an obstruction or danger to pedestrians
- Drive slowly
- Watch out - especially for children.
The following signify misuse of the permit:
- Allowing other people to use the permit
- Remaining in the vehicle parked in a pedestrian zone, while your driver or other passenger is shopping etc.
- Using a permit which has expired.
The permit is provided free of charge and can be withdrawn at any time by Nottinghamshire County Council.
Blue Badge Scheme
Parking benefits provided by the Blue Badge Scheme are not affected by this scheme. A special access permit cannot be used in place of a blue badge or vice versa.
Applying for a permit
Application forms are available from:
Central Processing Unit
PO Box 10282
tel: 01623 434519
Or download an application form [PDF 481KB]
Please mark your envelope Special Access Permits.
When you return your application form you will need to include:
- a passport sized photograph of yourself
- proof of your eligibility. This will be:
- a Vehicle Excise Duty Exemption Certificate or
- an official letter confirming an award of the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or
- an official letter confirming an award of War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement or
- the front cover and second page of your current allowance book.
If we need to obtain further medical information we will need your permission to contact your doctor. The necessary forms will be sent to you once we have received your completed application form.
Renewing your permit
You will need a new permit:
- If your permit expires
- If you change your name or address.
Special Access Schemes in Nottinghamshire
Arnold town centre
Beeston town centre
Mansfield town centre
Church Street (Market Place - White Hart St)
Special access permit holders only on Sunday to Wednesday for Westgate, Stockwell Gate, Leeming Street and Church Street. No access Thursday to Saturday (market stalls - park in marked spaces only)
Leeming Street (Clumber St - Market Place)
Blue Badge Holders (at any time). Park in marked spaces only
Stockwell Gate (Rosemary St - Queen St)
Westgate (St John St - Regent St)
Service Area D (behind Four Seasons Centre near Debenhams)
No Blue Badge or special access permit parking.
Newark town centre
Bridge Street - whole length
Carter Gate - Lombard Street to Barnby Gate (marked spaces only)
Special access permit holders only. Parking in these areas only.
Market Place (East side) - Bridge St. to White Hart Yard.
Stodman Street - Middle Gate to Market Place
Retford town centre
West Bridgford town centre
Worksop town centre
- Bridge Street, Bridge Place
Blue Badge holders - before 10am or after 3.30pm Mon to Sat - all day Sunday
Bridge Street - Special Access Permit use on Mon, Tues, Thurs, all day Sunday only.
NB Holders of a Blue Badge only may not enter these pedestrian areas, except where specified above. However parking for Blue Badge holders will generally be found in close proximity to these areas, details of which can be found in the Blue Badge Scheme.
Any person knowingly making a false statement to fraudulently obtain a permit is liable to a fine not exceeding £2,500 (section 115/2 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984).
Special access schemes in Nottingham City
Special access permits issued by Nottinghamshire County Council are valid throughout Nottinghamshire but are not valid in the Nottingham city area. Nottingham City Council runs its own special access permit scheme. To obtain an application form, please contact them on tel: 0115 915 6655.