Apply for a licence to place or maintain cables or pipes in the road

Section 50 Licence

Only utility companies have a legal right to dig up the roads and to place and maintain their pipes and cables in or on it.

However, as a private individual or a non-utility company you can apply for a licence under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. This allows you to place and maintain a specific piece of cable, pipe or similar in the road.

Typically you will need a competent contractor who has relevant experience to carry out the necessary works.

There are a number of requirements that you and your contractor will have to fulfil in order to be issued with a licence. Details of these applications can be found in the application pack.


Charges are:

  • £486 for a Street Works Licence to place new apparatus in the road. Apparatus includes drains, cables, ducts, sewer pipes, water and gas pipes, etc
  • £314 for consent to work on existing apparatus in the road.

A further charge of £7 is made if an invoice is requested. This is to cover our administration costs. 

Apply for a Section 50 Licence

The Section 50 Application Pack [Word] includes all the necessary information to enable you to complete the application:

Once completed, return the application form, together with a cheque made payable to Via East Midlands Lts for the appropriate amount, to our local area highways office.

We need to receive your application at least five weeks before the date you propose to start work. However, in some cases we will need up to three months notice. This is because of the traffic management required.

Share this page?

Contact the Council

Find and talk with us online or contact us directly by online form, email, telephone, post or in person at one of our offices. Use our online form Visit us in person Call us on 0300 500 80 80