Apply for brown tourist signs on roads
Brown signs help road users find attractions and facilities.
An attraction is a place people visit for pleasure and interest, for example:
- theme park
- historic building
A facility is a tourist amenity, for example:
- guest house
- camping ground
- picnic site
Tourist signs cannot be used for:
- retail outlets
- shops or shopping centres
- garden centres (including those with food outlets, play areas and additional retail outlets)
- exhibition centres or conferencing facilities
To place a sign on a
- council-maintained road, you need to apply to us. Please contact our Customer Service Centre
- motorway or trunk road in Nottinghamshire (M1, A1, A46, A52 and A453) you need to apply to Highways England.
As the applicant, you will need to cover the cost of any agreed tourist signs.
This includes, the cost of
- provision and erection
- future maintenance
- repair or replacement due to vandalism or theft
- renewal of consent after a five-year period (this includes any costs due to relocation or replacement).