Nottinghamshire County Council is organising a series of story sessions for young children about The Gruffalo at county libraries next month.
The special sessions will help the council’s library service to build momentum towards the forthcoming visit of The Gruffalo author and Children’s Laureate Julia Donaldson, to Mansfield Library.
Children’s Laureate Julia Donaldson will be making a special visit to Mansfield Library on October 11 as part of her national tour of libraries. The recently refurbished Mansfield Library has been picked from hundreds of applications to be one of only 24 libraries on the English and Welsh leg of the Children’s Laureate Libraries Tour this autumn.
As part of her Children’s Laureateship, Julia Donaldson – bestselling author of over 150 books including The Gruffalo, What the Ladybird Heard and Zog – is embarking on a tour of libraries that will take in England, Wales and Scotland, from John O’Groats to Lands’ End, over six weeks, commencing on 10 September in Thurso in the Hebrides and finishing on 18 October in Carlisle. The tour will celebrate libraries as a precious community resource at a time when a great many are threatened with closure. More details will follow in the next week about the visit to Mansfield.
To celebrate the occasion, six special sessions exploring the magic of the hit children’s story The Gruffalo will take place at a number of libraries around the county.
Story hullabaloo sessions are aimed at toddlers and young children to promote a love of books and to engage with them, their parents and carers and literature in a fun, relaxed environment.
Rattle, Rhyme and Roll sessions encourage babies and toddlers to enjoy stories, rhymes and songs about the themed book.
Marie Evans, Early Years and Bookstart Officer, at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “We are delighted to announce this series across the county to celebrate The Gruffalo.
“The Gruffalo continues to be a favourite for toddlers and young children and the events will capture their imagination with stories and crafts about this fantastic and lovable book character.”
The full schedule of events is as follows:
- Monday, October 8, 10.30am - Arnold Library – Gruffalo-themed Story Hullabaloo special session
- Monday October 8, 2pm - Retford Library – Gruffalo-themed Story Hullabaloo special session
- Tuesday, October 9, 10am – Mansfield Library – Gruffalo-themed Rattle, Rhyme and Roll session with a visit from The Gruffalo
- Tuesday, October 9, 2pm - Sutton in Ashfield Library – Gruffalo-themed Story Hullabaloo special session with a visit from The Gruffalo
- Wednesday, October 10 - 10am - Newark Library – Gruffalo-themed Story Hullabaloo special session
- Friday, October 12 - 10.30am - Beeston Library – Gruffalo-themed Story Hullabaloo special session.
For more details visit the Nottinghamshire County Council website: www.nottscc.gov.uk/libraries