Remember when petrol was 37p a litre? You could enjoy those days again simply by sharing your car with other people.
We're urging people to give car sharing a go as part of National Liftshare Week, taking place from Monday to Friday, October 1 to 5.
Car sharing – where two or more people travel together – allows people to benefit from the convenience of the car, whilst alleviating the associated problems of congestion and pollution.
The Council uses the nationwide Liftshare website to host our own www.nottinghamshare.com car-sharing scheme which is free to join and use.
Search for car sharing partners
Under the scheme residents – both drivers and passengers – can register and search for potential car sharing partners in their area.
You can share a car for any journey: getting to and from work, doing the weekly shop, taking the children to school, going to the match at the weekend, travelling to a festival, event or show, getting to or from university, visiting friends or getting to the airport – the choice is yours!
The benefits of car sharing are that:
- it saves you money – travelling with others can reduce your transport costs by up to £1,000 a year
- it reduces the number of cars on the roads - resulting in less congestion, less pollution and fewer parking problems
- it provides a real solution to the transport problems of rural areas
- it gives employees and employers more transport options
- it reduces the need for a private car
"The benefits of car sharing are numerous,” says Coun Richard Jackson, chairman of the County Council’s transport and highways committee.
"It reduces traffic pollution, frees up parking spaces and lowers the stress of rush-hour traffic. It can also be an enjoyable social activity as it gives you a chance to make friends.”
Liftshare Week runs from October 1 to 5. To join the Nottinghamshare car share scheme for free, visit www.nottinghamshare.com.