County Council elections are held every four years. Councillors are elected to represent each division, ensuring that the Council is accountable to local people.
Nottinghamshire County Council is currently under no overall control. This is because no single party has the 34 seats (County Councillors) required for an overall majority. The Labour Party is the largest party with 33 seats. All the other parties together have 34 Councillors.
The current composition of the County Council, last updated in November 2014, is:
- Labour Party: 33 seats
- Conservative Party: 21 seats
- Liberal Democrats: 8 seats
- Mansfield Independent Forum: 2 seats
- Selston Area Independents: 1 seat
- Independent (Councillor Maureen Dobson): 1 seat
- Independent (Councillor Ian Campbell): 1 seat