County Council elections are held every four years. Councillors are elected to represent each division, ensuring that the Council is accountable to local people.
Nottinghamshire County Council is currently under no overall control. This is because no single party has the 34 seats (County Councillors) required for an overall majority. The Labour Party is the largest party with 32 seats. All the other parties together have 35 seats.
The current composition of the County Council, last updated in March 2015, is:
- Labour Party: 32 seats
- Conservative Party: 21 seats
- Liberal Democrats: 8 seats
- Mansfield Independent Forum: 2 seats
- Selston Area Independents: 1 seat
- Independent (Councillor Maureen Dobson): 1 seat
- Independent (Councillor Ian Campbell): 1 seat
- Independent (Councillor John Wilmott): 1 seat