We've made some changes to our website. You may find some areas still in development. Read more about this work.

How the Council is funded

The money that Nottinghamshire County Council spends on its services comes from five different sources:

General Central Government Grant:

  • Central Government gives us money towards the cost of all the services we provide. This is called the Revenue Support Grant.

Specific Central Government Grants:

  • Central Government also gives us money to pay for specific services. Since 2006/07, all spending on schools is paid for by a specific government grant.

Council Tax:

  • Council Tax is a form of local taxation, based on the value of the place where you live. Find out more about Council Tax

Business Rates:

  • Business Rates are similar to Council Tax, but they are paid on commercial property, such as factories, offices and shops. Find out more about Business Rates.

Charges for our services:

  • Most of our services are free, but some have a small charge. For example, we charge for car parking at our country parks and a small fine is payable for overdue library books. Income from these charges is a small proportion of our total income.

Share this page?

Contact the Council

Find and talk with us online or contact us directly by online form, email, telephone, post or in person at one of our offices.

Facebook.com/Nottinghamshire Twitter.com/NottsCC Use our online form Visit us in person Call us on 0300 500 80 80 More ways to contact the Council