Governing Body Advice and Information Service
This stand alone service provides year round advice and guidance on all matters relating to the role of governing bodies by staff who have a wealth of experience in supporting school governors. The Governing Body Advice and Information Service supports the Governing Body Clerking Service.
What we offer:
- Termly briefing session for Head Teachers and Chairs of Governors
- Briefings for school specific clerks on business and developments (at least six hours per year)
- The Nottinghamshire Governor newsletter 6 times per year
- Ad hoc briefing reports on new or changed legislation.
- Provision of advice, information and support to individual Governors, Head Teachers and Governing Body Clerks via telephone or email
- Guidance on policy and practice when dealing with school complaints.
- Access to Nottinghamshire Governor Services’ suite of information and advice, available on the Schools Portal, including:
- Committee agenda templates and minuting guidance
- Suggested monitoring questions
- Reconstitution toolkit including model eligibility criteria and code of conduct
- Written guidance on staff and parent Governor elections (including standard letters and forms in electronic format)
- Written advice on the role of Chairs of Governors
- Governing body planning documentation (e.g. annual planner, decision planner and policy checklist) for Head Teachers and Chairs of Governors to support the management of the governing body’s workload.
"As governors we find the clerking service very supportive and informative. The knowledge, experience and advice our clerk brings to our meetings is invaluable, this enables the governing body to make decisions and carry out our work efficiently, confidently and effectively." Sharon Bell, Brierly Forest Primary School.
Governing Body Clerking Service
Governor Services provide a professional clerking service delivered by clerks who have undertaken extensive training and are kept up to date on new legislation, policy matters relating to and supporting the work of Governing Bodies. Clerks are supported by an efficient, knowledgeable management and business support team.
The Governing Body Advice and Information Service supports effective clerking and we would recommend the purchase of this service to complement the Clerking Service.
What we offer
- Access to the GovernorHub, online 'cloud' storage system to schools/academies who purchase the Governing Body Clerking Service for at least three meetings per year.
- Maintenance and monitoring of governing body membership, attendance, terms of office, eligibility checks and provision of welcome pack for new governors
- A focused agenda produced by the clerk in consultation with the chair of governors at least 15 days before the meeting
- School specific meeting notices and papers sent electronically to governors within the legally required number of days prior to the meeting
- Named clerk to provide interpretation, advice and guidance on school government regulations and procedures for at least three meetings per year
- Clerk to undertake follow-up action or correspondence as instructed by the governing body
- Accurate, high quality minutes sent to the chair of governors within 15 working days of the meeting
- Correspondence handling and storage of documentation
- Telephone and written advice before and after meetings as required
- The flexibility to purchase a clerk or a minuting secretary for additional meetings.
"As in previous years, we have continued to receive excellent support from Governor Services. Our clerking service has continued to be of a very high quality, supporting and enhancing the smooth running and effectiveness of our Governance. The support and advice that we have received has been professional and skilled - definitely good value for money!" Vic Wilkinson - Headteacher, Crescent Primary School.
Head Teacher Appointment Service
Governor Services and the Education Improvement Service provide a professional, cost effective head teacher recruitment service to governing bodies. Both teams have considerable experience in headteacher recruitment and can offer expert advice throughout the process.
What we offer
- Initial contact - telephone advice to the chair of governors regarding the governing body’s role in appointing a head teacher
- Start-up meeting of full Governing Body – advice about the first stages of the recruitment process, from an experienced local authority officer
- Selection panel meeting(s) - advice regarding the organisation and role of the selection panel including advertising, shortlisting and interview arrangements
- Selection process - professional help from the local authority officer in the identification of a suitable shortlist of candidates, attendance at interviews, feedback to panel on performance of candidates and checks on identity, qualifications and right to work in the UK (legal requirement)
- Follow up - feedback on performance to candidates, arranging DBS checks if necessary
- Extensive administrative support
Note: We recognise and fully understand there are different models of governance. Our packages can be adapted to fit the needs of your governing body. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Governing Body Complaints and Governance Reviews Services
Complaints support service – Governor Services offer two packages to support governors in responding to different stages of complaints – the initial investigation and the convening and clerking of the complaints panel.
External review of governance offers two levels of support for governing bodies who require an external review of governance. All packages can be purchased individually and provide highly efficient, professionally trained staff to support your governing body.
These services include:
- Complaints support – investigation stage: clerking support up to 10 hours (further time available by negotiation) including attending interviews, producing notes, acting as key contact on behalf of the complaints governor and supporting them when producing their report to be sent to the complainant
- Complaints support – panel hearing stage: clerking support up to 14 hours plus attendance as clerk to the complaints investigation panel hearing (further time available by negotiation) including: acting as key contact for the complainant and chair of the panel, gathering and distributing evidence, attending the hearing, providing advice and producing minutes.
- External review support – level one: work with the headteacher and chair to distribute a review questionnaire and produce and present a detailed report evaluating a range of governing body information over a three term period and the questionnaire results.
- External review support – level two: work with the headteacher and chair to arrange and attend a governing body meeting, distribute and present a review questionnaire, meet with governors to gather additional information. Produce and present a detailed report evaluating a range of governing body information over a six term period, the questionnaire results and the school’s website compliance.
- An action plan can be produced at an additional charge for either review process.