[Skip to content]



Nottingham Corporation’s proposal to spend £20,000 constructing a Great War memorial in the city’s Market Square was abandoned after protests in 1919 from former servicemen who felt that, if such a large sum was available, it should be spent rehabilitating those returning to civilian life and especially the wounded.
The War Memorial and Memorial Gardens were built instead on Victoria Embankment on land donated by Sir Jesse Boot, Founder of Boots the Chemist, to the Corporation in 1920. The land was to provide open space and a memorial. Work first started on the gardens in 1923 and they were opened to the public on the 11th November 1927. The site has recently been refurbished.

Memorial to the city of Nottingham's Great War dead. This is one of a number of Great War memorials across the county which commemorate without showing names of those who fell.

Memorial location
Names on Memorial
Photos
  • Nottingham Corporation’s proposal to spend £20,000 constructing a Great War memorial in the city’s Market Square was abandoned after protests in 1919 from former servicemen who felt that, if such a large sum was available, it should be spent rehabilitating those returning to civilian life and especially the wounded.
The War Memorial and Memorial Gardens were built instead on Victoria Embankment on land donated by Sir Jesse Boot, Founder of Boots the Chemist, to the Corporation in 1920. The land was to provide open space and a memorial. Work first started on the gardens in 1923 and they were opened to the public on the 11th November 1927. The site has recently been refurbished.
    Photo David Nunn - Nottingham Corporation’s proposal to spend £20,000 constructing a Great War memorial in the city’s Market Square was abandoned after protests in 1919 from former servicemen who felt that, if such a large sum was available, it should be spent rehabilitating those returning to civilian life and especially the wounded. The War Memorial and Memorial Gardens were built instead on Victoria Embankment on land donated by Sir Jesse Boot, Founder of Boots the Chemist, to the Corporation in 1920. The land was to provide open space and a memorial. Work first started on the gardens in 1923 and they were opened to the public on the 11th November 1927. The site has recently been refurbished.
  • The memorial under construction.
    - The memorial under construction.
  • Courtesy of John Sutton -