[Skip to content]



Photo showing the war memorial situated on the inside of the North wall. 
Courtesy of the private owners of the church.

UKNIWM Ref - 27051

For a history of the church and an explanation of the dedication of the church to St Oswald and to St Leonard see the Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project website. The church was dedicated to St Oswald but is more usually known by a later dedication to St Leonard. The church was declared redundant in 1993 and is now in private ownership. Description of the memorial 'Lancet shaped marble tablet with two green granite columns and capitals on either side supporting the arched top. Inscription in black lettering. Whole is mounted onto a stone backboard.' Dimensions are: width 34 inches, height 53 inches and depth 3 1/2 inches. The surrounding stone backboard protrudes 3 inches out from the memorial itself. The inscription on the memorial reads: To the Glory of God and in grateful memory of the men of this parish who sacrificed their lives in the Great War, 1914 - 1918 (names) ‘The sacrifice of a just man is acceptable and the memorial thereof shall never be forgotten.’

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

Charles Couling - Charles Couling

John Goodman - John Goodman

Charles Henry Hayes - Charles Henry Hayes

Sidney Roe - Sidney Roe

George Wilson - George Wilson

Photos
  • Photo showing the war memorial situated on the inside of the North wall. 
Courtesy of the private owners of the church.
    St Leonard's Church, Ragnall - Photo showing the war memorial situated on the inside of the North wall. Courtesy of the private owners of the church.
  • photo shows a close up of the memorial situated on the North wall of the church. 
Courtesy of the private owners of the church.
    St Leonard's Church, Ragnall - photo shows a close up of the memorial situated on the North wall of the church. Courtesy of the private owners of the church.
  • photo shows the exterior of St Oswald's Church, Ragnall. 
Courtesy of Peter Gillings
    St Leonard's Church, Ragnall - photo shows the exterior of St Oswald's Church, Ragnall. Courtesy of Peter Gillings