[Skip to content]



Blyth and Hodsock - St Mary & St Martin's Church

this photo was taken by Peter Gillings

UKNIWM Ref - 26856

Spital Road, Blyth, S81 8DW. A former Benedictine monastery founded in 1088, which later became a parish church. The marble tablet was designed by Spooner of London and built by Messrs Lidtter and Brammer of Worksop. It was dedicated on 17 December 1922 and a report of the ceremony and service was printed in the Retford, Gainsborough and Worksop Times on 22 December. The dedication on the memorial reads: 'To the Glory of God and in memory of the Blyth and Hodsock men who died for England in the Great War 1914-1920 (names). The souls of the righteous are in the hands of God and there shall no torment touch them.'

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

W Baker - Willie Baker

R Beighton - Richard Beighton

A Bell - Arthur Bell

J Brackenbury - John Brackenbury

E Calvert - Edgar William Calvert

A Claypham - Albert Claypham Aka Clayton

G Colley - G Aka John Henry Colley

T H Cowling - Thomas Henry Cowling

R Emmerson - R Emmerson

G A Espin - George Alfred Espin

J W Espin - John William Espin

H Fenton - Harry Fenton

C Heath - C Heath

R Holmes - Richard Holmes

P N Kent - Percival Naylor Kent

R Maltby - Robert Maltby

T Marrison - Thomas Henry Marrison

G Morley - George Henry Morley

H Pawson - Harold Pawson

C Rickett - Frederick Charles Rickett

S Rylatt - Sydney Rylatt

V Scott - Verdon Scott

D Shillito - David Vincent Shillito

T E Swinn - Thomas Edward Swinn

F Vincent - Alfred Chester Aka F Vincent

R R Watson - Reginald Rudge Watson

Photos
  • this photo was taken by Peter Gillings
    Blyth and Hodsock men - this photo was taken by Peter Gillings
  • this photo was taken by Peter Gillings
    Blyth and Hodsock men - this photo was taken by Peter Gillings
  • this photo was taken by Peter Gillings
    St Mary & St Martin Church, Blyth - this photo was taken by Peter Gillings