- a variety of other habitats, including wetlands and grasslands on a former colliery spoil tip
- car park
- dogs welcome on a lead or under close control.
Blidworth Colliery opened in 1924, built on farmland between the villages of Rainworth and Blidworth.
In 1989 with the closure of the colliery reclamation of the site began, and thousands of trees were planted to form Tippings Wood. As the habitats have developed and matured over the last fifteen years careful management has been required to ensure we make the most of the site for both people and wildlife.
Much of the work is done on a voluntary basis by the Friends of Tippings Wood in conjunction with the Sherwood Forest Community Rangers.
On a trip to Tippings Wood:
- cycle along National Cycle Route 6, which crosses Boundary Wood adjacent to the site
- stroll through broad-leaved woodland, which contains a variety of species including oak and birch
- enjoy the Bee Orchid, a flower typical of post-industrial sites, and painted lady butterflies.
Nearest Town/Village: Blidworth and Rainworth
Access Point: Various in both villages. Car park off Warsop Lane (B6020), Blidworth.
Grid Reference: Tippings Wood Car Park SK 590 569