- once part of the Rufford Colliery
- a hidden gem for those wishing to discover a quiet wilderness
- dogs welcome on a lead or under close control.
A unique landscape created as colliery spoil was piled steeply around the watercourse, forming a giant bowl. This is now at the heart of the Local Nature Reserve. During the restoration, thousands of trees were planted to stabilise the steep ground. These now form large areas of mixed woodland.
Rainworth Water itself is a valuable wetland habitat consisting of pools, shallows and meanders to create a natural appearance. Beside the watercourse marshy areas have developed since restoration.
On a trip to Rainworth Water:
- spot the dragonflies, damselflies and dingy skipper butterflies
- witness the development of the grassland and dense scrub since its restoration
- savour some natural tranquility.
Nearest Town/Village: Rainworth
Access Point: On foot from Rainworth Village
Grid Reference: SK 598 595