Sherwood Forest Country Park
The legendary stomping-ground of Robin Hood, this 450 acre country park is now part of the Sherwood Forest National Nature Reserve and home to a fascinating ecosystem. The forest has 900 veteran oak trees including England's Tree of the Year 2014, The Major Oak.
- admission to the park is free- see information on car parking charges
- car parks open 10am to 5pm
- dogs welcome
- open every day, 10am to 5pm
- home to the annual Robin Hood Festival (31 July to 6 August 2017).
- follow the waymarked trails amongst the leafy glades
- spot birds including nuthatches, jays, woodpeckers and redstarts
- marvel in the shadow of the historic Major Oak
- browse the Visitor Centre shops or relax with a coffee in the Forest Table Restaurant.
Bus: Most bus routes stop on High Street in Edwinstowe, which is a 5 to 10 minute walk from the Visitor Centre and park. Plan a journey.
Car: The Visitor Centre is on the B6034 just north of Edwinstowe, between the A6075 and the A616, 20 miles north of Nottingham.
Train: The nearest stations are at Shirebrook (6 miles) and Mansfield (7 miles). Both are served by the Robin Hood line, operated by East Midlands Trains.
Forest Table Restaurant
Sherwood Forest has a long tradition of hearty fare. At the main entrance to the park, the Forest Table is a cosy and relaxed place to enjoy a quick coffee, snack or lunch. We also offer a delicious Sunday carvery and you can be sure of a warm Nottinghamshire welcome.
- open 10am to 5pm daily (may close earlier for private functions - you may wish to check before visiting).
Sherwood Forest holds a quality award from the VisitEngland Visitor Attraction Quality Assurance Scheme.
For Sherwood Forest catering enquiries call 01623 823202 option 2.
Upcoming events at Sherwood Forest
The visitor centre, shops and restaurants are all fully accessible for wheelchairs. A number of paths, such as the Major Oak path, are accessible to wheelchairs, but the oak is approximately half a mile from the visitor centre and there are some slight gradients along the way.
There is a fold down baby change unit in the ladies and accessible toilets at the Visitor Centre.
Wheelchair and scooter loan
We offer free wheelchair loan and electric mobility scooters (for £2 per hour) at Visitor Information. Please ring before your visit to check availability and make a booking: 01623 823202 (10.30am to 4.30pm).
Dogs are welcome but must be kept under control. All visitors need to feel safe and relaxed. Please keep dogs on the lead in and around the Visitor Centre, and take care when passing other visitors with dogs. Please clean up after your pet.
At some park events (for example, bird-watching walks), dogs aren't allowed. If in doubt, please contact us.
01623 823 202