Nottinghamshire residents wishing to use any of the Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) with a van, pick-up, trailer or sign-written vehicle, will require a HWRC permit.
You do not need a permit if you are using your own car without a trailer to take waste to a HWRC.
Applying for a permit
Permits are available free of charge for Nottinghamshire residents wishing to dispose of their own household waste and small amounts of construction waste from their own home.
You will need to fill in an application form and provide a copy of your Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C), showing matching personal details. We aim to process correctly completed permit applications within 7-28 days.
Forms are available:
Applications cannot be submitted online as an original signature is required. You must return completed and signed application forms to:
Central Processing Unit
PO BOX 10282
Alternatively, you can apply in person at any of our Customer Contact Points:
Your application must be accompanied by:
- A copy of your complete V5C vehicle registration certificate, showing matching personal details (as proof of residency); or
- If it is a company van, pick-up, company car with a trailer or a company sign-written vehicle, a copy of your company's insurance certificate and a letter from your company on headed paper stating that you are permitted to use the vehicle for personal use and a copy of a utility bill dated within the last six months as proof of residency or
- If you have a Motability care, please send us a copy of your Motability agreement which shows your car registration and address.
Please send copies as we do not return documents sent with applications.
Your permits should be stuck to the windscreen of the permitted vehicle and be clearly visible to site staff, without compromising visibility or safety.
Permits do not have an expiry date, but you will need to re-apply for a permit if you change your vehicle or your home address. Permits can not be swapped from one vehicle to another.
Trade waste is not permitted. Permits are only for the disposal of household waste and small amounts of construction waste from your own home.
Permits will only be issued to residents of Nottinghamshire and are limited to one per household.
Nottingham City Council residents are able to use the Lenton Lane HWRC. Details of the Nottingham City Council scheme are available on their website.
Permits will not be granted for vans or pick-ups being used to tow trailers.
Hire vehicles are not eligible for permits, but may be granted short-term access. Conditions for the granting of short-term access are:
- The granting of short-term access for hire vehicles requires notice of two full working days
- Short-term permits are only valid for that visit.
Please contact the Customer Service Centre for further information.
Long wheeled base transit type vehicles up to 3.5t MAM (also known as Gross Weight) will be the largest type of vehicle to be granted a permit.
|Vehicle Type ||Permit Required |
|Car ||No permit required |
|Car and trailer ||Permit required |
|Permit required |
|Van with trailer ||No permit granted |
|Pick up ||Permit required |
|Pick up with trailer ||No permit granted |
Vehicle and Permits
|Sign-written vehicles |
|Permit required |