[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Changing your name

Contact us

If you'd like to change your name, contact your local register office.

Download a leaflet

In the UK anyone may change their name (quite legally), without drawing up a formal record. However, in order for your new name to be officially accepted, many organisations such as banks, building societies and the Passport Agency request some form of proof of the name change, so an official 'change of name deed' may be required.

Your birth certificate will not change: the name deed will run alongside your birth certificate and you should keep both documents together at all times.

Most places and organisations will now accept a change of name deed. However, if you require one for a specific purpose we advise you to check that this document will be acceptable.

How to request a change of name deed

You can request a change of name deed at any of our main register offices. An appointment will be necessary and the process will usually take up to half an hour. This includes the preparation and production of two officially stamped change of name deeds. You must be a British citizen who is over the age of 18. View details of fees and charges.

You will be required to attend in person and produce one of the following identity documents at the time of appointment:

  • full birth certificate (which has your parents' details on)

  • passport.

You will be given a copy of your change of name deed - if you require additional copies, you will have to pay a fee per copy.  

Please note: we only keep change of name deed records for a year. After a year has passed, paper copies are shredded and information will be deleted from our computer records. If in the future you require another copy of your document for official use, you would have to make another change of name deed and the full fee for the service at that time would apply.

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close